Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Desktop Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 24th October 2007, 18:53

Mac4Lin version 0.3 Released!

24th October 2007

Mac4Lin is back! A new version, more changes, better looks and an overall more polished product. Please read changelog for information of changes in this version. It gives me immense pleasure to inform all that downloads have crossed 110 GB till date!

Mac4Lin now comes with a unified documentation in PDF format. Please go through this for illustrated installation instructions. Also some entities like GTK theme/Pidgin etc. now include two versions. Hence individual README files are only included if there is any need to convey release specific important information to the user which the generic documentation does not include. Read the README file for more details, in such cases.

With the release of GNOME 2.20, there have been issues reported with the Icon theme. Work is going on to make the theme compatible with GNOME 2.20 (found in OpenSUSE 10.3/Ubuntu 7.10 - Gusty etc.). There will be a separate release of Icon theme for GNOME 2.20. Users of this version can replace the original ver.0.3 Icon theme with the new one, which will be released soon after this release. GNOME version can be checked by clicking System Menu > About GNOME. Other components of this package are reported to work with GNOME 2.20. The installation of GTK Metacity theme and Cursors is almost same execpt that the Theme Manager in GNOME 2.20 has a new look.

Thanks to Victor Hugo Casals for the Safari skin, M.Lettner for the panel backgrounds, Calande for the font guide, Mitko for nm-applet icons, Vish for Grub and Buu700 for Usplash screens. I also thank all those who tested the pack and everyone who are directly or indirectly involved in this project.

Apply it, flaunt it, enjoy it!

Anirudh (a.k.a ANi, infra_red_dude)

For any suggestions/comments/complaints/feedback/bug tracking please drop a mail to: infra_red_dude.users@sourceforge.net

Project Website and Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin

Screenshots:

PS: Keep checking this place. An Icon theme for GNOME 2.20 will soon be released.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infra_red_dude For This Useful Post:
carelesswinds (2nd November 2007), falko (25th October 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old 31st October 2007, 22:15

A new Icon theme for GNOME 2.20 and Mac4Lin Documentation Rev. 1.1 (PDF) which covers installation instructions for GNOME 2.20 have now been released!

Check them out at: http://sourceforge.net/project/platf..._platform=4117

Plz report any bugs.

Today has been the day of highest downloads: 110GB and still counting..... Total downloads haf been over 580GB till this day! Over 46000 downloads haf been recorded!! I never imagined this project would scale such heights. I thank everyone for their support. Plz keep the suggestions/complaints/bugs/feedback flowing. It'll help in the betterment of this project
The Following User Says Thank You to infra_red_dude For This Useful Post:
falko (1st November 2007)
Old 31st October 2007, 22:48

Default openSUSE+grub

I read through your instructions, and it seems to me they address mostly install under Ubuntu. I am interested in trying it under OpenSUSE, on my Toshiba laptop. However, this is a tablet without a CD/DVD drive, and installing Linux wasn't easy. This gives me very little room to experiment, and this is why I'd like to ask you a few questions before trying.

What I'd like to be able to do is have an entry in GRUB that would boot into OpenSUSE using the Mac splash. Ideally, that entry would be password protected and would boot automatically into a "mac" account containing all these customizations. The existing OpenSUSE entry in grub would boot linux as it does right now. OpenSUSE interface is sufficiently polished that I would rather keep it in parallel with Mac.

The problem is, I tried before to do something similar with Grub but did not get very far. Has anybody tried this yet?
Old 1st November 2007, 10:05

Yes, as long as the distro uses GTK (GNOME or XFCE) this pack will work any distro.

Regarding your other query, you can simply create another login with the mac like customisation. No need to fiddle with GRUB.
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:27

I finally got the look i wanted

but am stumped at 2 different things.

1st Usplash theme doesn't stick..after setting it to any theme..it goes back to
default usplash-theme-ubuntu. On running it from console i got the following error message

Quote:
update-alternatives: Cannot find alternative `/usr/lib/usplash/osx-splash.so'.
2nd problem is after login window and before splash screen. I get the default brown color of ubuntu theme, i again tried changing it through Login Window applet but same problem, it doesnt stick.

anyone facing similar problems??? I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

What's the output of
Code:
updatedb
locate osx-splash.so
?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:41

it already exists, this is the output of locate cmd

Quote:
/usr/lib/usplash/osx-splash.so
I have already placed .so files in /usr/lib/usplash as the documentation.
Old 3rd November 2007, 07:18

1) All the usplash screens work fine for me. No probs whatsoever. No wonder I bundled them with the pack. Actually initially I faced a problem with NO usplash screen, not even the default one. Then gotta kno that its a bug in Gutsy, resolution is not correctly identified. Edited the file and then everything seems fine. Check this out. Try changing resolution in Startup manager.

2) Yes, for some strange reason even I'm facing the problem. I've set the background color to grey but the default ubuntu brown shows up. I haf no idea why.
Old 5th November 2007, 10:31

Mac4Lin reaches a new milestone!

Mac4Lin Downloads: 1 TeraByte (TB) and counting......

I wanna thank everyone for their support
Old 9th November 2007, 14:44

Default Can't change usplash theme

I also have the same problem in which I can't change the usplash theme using startup-manager. The new usplash theme won't stick and it keeps going back to the default usplash-theme-ubuntu.
Very annoying!

I also haven't been able to change the ugly brown color of the ubuntu theme after the login window and befor the splash.

I'm running version 7.10 Gutsy.

Someone please help!!
I'm a noobie!