Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th September 2007, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by showe1966
in the tab that appears:-
"server"

I can enter data like
Hostname:
Domain:
IP Address:
Netmask:
Admin Email:

1. Other than the ip address of my server, do I need to set these up ? I'm the only person needing to do admin, and it is more secure and less expensive if i just stick with an ip address rather than adding a domain name.
Not sure of this. Perhaps someone else can address this.
Quote:
2. what is appropriate for the admin e-mail ?
I check my e-mail on another e-mail system so I guess i should specify that e-mail address because otherwise it is unlikely to get read.
The address of any mailbox you are likely to read.
Quote:
On the tab:-

what do \i have to set up here ?
What e-mail are we talking about ?
Is it some kind of a global setting page for all the e-mail that will be handled by all the hosted sites or what ?
This is where you set up global parameters to control the Postfix daemon that will handle all incoming e-mail.
Quote:
on the tab

dns

what should i set in here ?
Default Ns1: server1.mydom.dom
I suppose if i am running BIND locally
That sounds about right
Quote:
Default Ns2: some other backup DNS server somewhere else.com
That's another issue for someone better acquainted with ISPConfig. I don't know whether ISPConfig can handle being a master server, updting a remote slave.
Quote:
Admin Email: ?? not sure what goes in here as above
Same as the "Admin E-Mail" answer above - the address of a mailbox that you check regularly.
Quote:
Default MX: ?? not sure here either as what website /MX account for what post are we talking about here as so far, I did not create any websites ????
The Following User Says Thank You to catdude For This Useful Post:
showe1966 (18th September 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old 18th September 2007, 17:22

Default Update - closer to "one web"

In any case, I am slowly making forward progress through the setup and now have managed to ftp some content to my website.

Here is what I did:-

-during install selected
hostname www
domain: mysite.dom
ip address: my ip address
admin e-mail: i changed it to abuse@mydomain.com. Not sure if this is a good idea or not.

after install:-
-login as admin and change the password
-click on server in the directory tree
>settings
>dns
set up dns servers to my dns servers
also clicked on "default mx record"

click on >isp manger > new client
enter name for client
enter first name
enter last name
SAVE

click on >NEW SITE
>NEXT
TITLE: mysite.dom
hostname www
domain mysite.dom
ip address: the only ip address i have available in any case !
create dns y
create dns MX y
ssi y
ftp access y
ssl y
SAVE

after created site,
modified client login and password
logged in as client

>create new user
realname : a name
e_mail address: annemailaddress
username: web1_info
password XXXXX
administrator y

Now I founfd i can ftp onto my website and transfer files across to create my website
the login for ftp BTW is as follows:-
address to loginto : my ip address
username: web1_info
password: XXXXXXXX
port: 21

The above is all fine and it looks like FINALLY i am getting somewheres.
HOWEVER I NOW RUN INTO THE FOLLOWING "GOTTCHA"
-I did not transfer my real domain name over to my new website yet as it is in use somewheres else.
-Therefore, to check that the website is really up, I type in my ip address in my browser BUT because I had to use the same ip address, host and domain names twice (Once in server settings and once to set up my clients website), I only can get to a page saying
"welcome, this IP address is shared. Please login to www.mysite.dom to see the website you are looking for."

My questions are:-

1. Is this normal ?
2. Can I get around the problem ?
I think I possibly can by using a terminal based web browser on my server like lynx and point it to 127.0.0.1 and see what I reach.

Any comments about resolving this technical difficulty would be most appreciated.
Old 18th September 2007, 17:47

Default reply to catdudes previous post

dear catdude,

sorry i missed your previous post as we have now moved onto page two of this thread....
anyway to answer your questions:-

You have a static IP address, correct?
yes
You you have multiple IP addresses, or just one?
just one
And your goal is to provide e-mail (SMTP and POP/IMAP), web, and DNS services for a single domain.
yes
Does the domain for which you want to provide service currently have it's NS record set to your IP address(es)?
no because the domain is in use elsewhere. My idea was first set up everything on the new server website and the mail server as much as possible, then reset the dns listed at my domain name registrar to be the ones of my new server.
Old 18th September 2007, 18:00

Default another update

OK to continue to story...
on my remote server:-
apt-get install lynx
lynx http://127.0.0.1

I get a very interesting result in that I get to the following page:-

Index of /

Index of /

[ICO] Name Last modified Size Description
__________________________________________________ _______________

[DIR] apache2-default/ 20-Nov-2004 21:16 -
[DIR] localhost/ 15-Sep-2007 00:30 -
[DIR] sharedip/ 18-Sep-2007 15:01 -
[DIR] web1/ 18-Sep-2007 16:05 -
[DIR] webalizer/ 18-Sep-2007 06:25 -
[DIR] www.mysite.dom/ 18-Sep-2007 16:05 -
__________________________________________________ _______________

Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.1 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server
at 127.0.0.1 Port 80

Is this normal ??
Would it indicate my setup has worked ??
Anyone got any ideas ???
Old 18th September 2007, 18:04

Quote:
The above is all fine and it looks like FINALLY i am getting somewheres.
HOWEVER I NOW RUN INTO THE FOLLOWING "GOTTCHA"
-I did not transfer my real domain name over to my new website yet as it is in use somewheres else.
-Therefore, to check that the website is really up, I type in my ip address in my browser BUT because I had to use the same ip address, host and domain names twice (Once in server settings and once to set up my clients website), I only can get to a page saying
"welcome, this IP address is shared. Please login to www.mysite.dom to see the website you are looking for."

1. Is this normal ?
I think I possibly can by using a terminal based web browser on my server like lynx and point it to 127.0.0.1 and see what I reach.

Any comments about resolving this technical difficulty would be most appreciated.
Yep, that behavior is normal. Here's how you can get around that problem for testing:

If you are running a real OS (Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, OS X, etc) edit your /etc/hosts file. Specifically, on the line that starts with your IP address, add "yourdomain.com" and "www.yourdomain.com". If you're stuck with running a video-game OS (a flavor of Windows), then do the same in /windows/system/drivers/etc/hosts (or something like that - I can never remember exactly where the file is, as I never use Wintendo any more).

That way when you attempt to surf to yourdomain.com or www.yourdomain.com, your machine will resolve the address out of your local hosts file instead of via DNS. This assumes, of course, that your nsswitch.conf file is set up to prefer "files" over other methods.
showe1966 (18th September 2007)
Old 18th September 2007, 18:04

showe1996, if all you're really after is a mail server and a sinlgle site, have you seen this: http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ ?

To answer a questin or two you've raised:
Quote:
I only can get to a page saying

1. Is this normal ?
The page tells you you have ISPConfig set up. It is the index.html splash page for people who have a domain DNS pointing at your IP, but no domain actually set up in there yet. This splash page default changes when the domain is set up, but has no pages of its own yet. So the answer to 1 is "Yes".

2. You change it by designing a new splash page and uploading it. In Apache2 on a Debian type distro, that's /var/www/apache2-default/ - I have yet to work out where to put it for a domain which is configured but no pages yet.
Old 18th September 2007, 18:28

Default i see a single website

So, Finally i am getting somewhere.

I followed catdudes suggestion and edit my /etc/hosts file and add
www.mysite.dom and mysite.dom to the line which assigns my ip address as follows:-

vi /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
xxx.xxx.xx.xxx server1.mysite.dom server1 mysite.dom www.mysite.dom

Save the file

then lynx http://www.mysite.dom

brings up the homepage I downloaded via ftp earlier.

Hurrah !!!

all i have to do is transfer accross all the e-mail accounts now...urggg...then transfer accross the domain name to the new ip....
Old 18th September 2007, 19:53

Quote:
all i have to do is transfer accross all the e-mail accounts now...urggg...then transfer accross the domain name to the new ip....
If you have many e-mail accounts to move, you might want to look at the Remote Framework. It allows you to make calls to a SOAP service to do things like add e-mail accounts, etc.
Old 19th September 2007, 19:04

Default now I'm having problems with my dns

Another update....

Well my website is now reachable.
But, I have various problems with my DNS configuration as follows:-

1. My ISP tells me that if I register a .com domain name server as my primary
name server, they are not allowed to register it as they are in germany for technical reasons.

2. This is all well and good, but what I need to know is , for a single website, running ISPCONFIG , do I have to specify my local machine as being the primary DNS server or not ?
I suspect not.

If this is the case, then I will just use my ISP's DNS servers rather than specifying my own.

NB: I do need to run a mail server so I am not sure where this leaves me WRT my MX records and how I should set up my mail server if my local macine is not my primary name server.
Old 19th September 2007, 19:21

Quote:
Another update....

Well my website is now reachable.
But, I have various problems with my DNS configuration as follows:-

1. My ISP tells me that if I register a .com domain name server as my primary
name server, they are not allowed to register it as they are in germany for technical reasons.

2. This is all well and good, but what I need to know is , for a single website, running ISPCONFIG , do I have to specify my local machine as being the primary DNS server or not ?
I suspect not.

If this is the case, then I will just use my ISP's DNS servers rather than specifying my own.

NB: I do need to run a mail server so I am not sure where this leaves me WRT my MX records and how I should set up my mail server if my local macine is not my primary name server.

No, you don't need to have your domain's NS records pointing at ISPConfig. You can configure external name servers to point to your ISPConfig machine's IP address

Mail service and DNS service don't have to run on the same machine. Just be sure to properly configure an MX record on whichever server does run run your DNS, and be sure that it points to your ISPConfig machine. Then make sure that /etc/postfix/local-host-names does include your domain (inserted by ISPConfig) and your machine's local hostname (maybe inserted by ISPConfig, maybe inserted by you below the "MAKE MANUAL CHANGES BELOW THIS LINE" line.
showe1966 (19th September 2007)