Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Technical

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 16th September 2007, 00:03

Default Configure VNC from remote CLI

Typically, when I set up remote control to a PC it has been Windows to Windows. I use Putty and VNC for 'secure' tunneling of VNC traffic. I have an Utuntu Feisty installed at a remote location. I want to do the same thing with Putty and VNC as I've done in the past. I really like Ubuntu and am trying to figure out how I can set VNC server up from the CLI. I am remote and I don't want any user involvement. So, I want to set the VNC server up to accept remote connections and share the desktop. I have read quite a bit about it and I have the server running. Any of the documentation I have read wants the user to go in and enable remote desktop sharing etc. But I don't want user involvement.

Can I set this up exclusively from SSH CLI? I have looked over the vnc.conf file etc. and have done a bit of research. If I have to walk the user through setting up locally and testing with them that is fine. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Ideally, setting all of this up remotely is ideal without any user intervention.
Sponsored Links
Old 16th September 2007, 15:38

Default Configure VNC from remote CLI *RESOLVED*

I found a good resource that describes how to enable and disable Remote Desktop Sharing from a terminal.

http://www.samlesher.com/ubuntu/ubun...e-command-line

It does require sharing to be enabled locally on first use but then afterward it can be turned on and off remotely at the terminal. This is acceptable.