Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 5th September 2007, 07:04

Default Any security issues after installing LAMP on Feisty?

I am about to complete a LAMP installation on my Ubuntu Feisty Desktop Box. I want the GUI which is why I am using the Desktop version instead of the Server version. I know that using the server edition not only can pre-install LAMP but it also takes a lot of security steps (i.e. closing certain ports). This tutorial only installs LAMP and does not cover any additional steps that might be needed for security. Is there anything you can suggest that I do?
Sponsored Links
Old 5th September 2007, 10:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,612 Times in 4,423 Posts

I recommend that you install a firewall and open only the ports that are needed for your server. E.g. if you want to provide only websites without the need to login remotely by FTP or SSH, close all ports except of port 80 and 443.