Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Technical

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th August 2007, 23:50

Send a message via AIM to sthompson Send a message via MSN to sthompson Send a message via Yahoo to sthompson
Question Kununut Feisty Fawn Partition Questions...

Hello All,

I recently a acquired a new HP system which comes with a 400GB hard drive. I've been using Kubuntu for quite some time now but I've formated the hard disk into 1 partition I've seen may options on the net to have separate partitions such as /var, /boot/, /opt/, /usr and /home etc..

What I would like to know is, what would be the best way to partition my drive instead of using the entire hard disk? I guess I can understand keeping my /home directory separate but what about the other partitions?

I would expect they are necessary from being clobbered in one way or fashion. My machine is running Kubuntu 7.04 only. No Windows or other OS'.

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Old 5th August 2007, 13:33
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

The partitioning is totally up to you. But I stronlgy recommend that you have a swap partition, too. That should be roughly 2x the size of your RAM.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: