Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 31st July 2007, 10:48

Question MySQL Mailpassword Issue - Virtual Users And Domains ... Ubuntu

Hi,

I have a working Insallation of this howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_po...er_ubuntu_edgy

Well, I want to provide to the users a simple Webinterface to change their passwords. So I began to wrote a PHP-Script. To verify the logins I first execute this Statement:
Code:
SELECT * FROM users WHERE (email='$email') AND (password=ENCRYPT('$pass'))
The login always fails and I know why: Here a quote from the MySQL manual
Quote:
ENCRYPT(str[,salt])

Encrypts str using the Unix crypt() system call and returns a binary string. The salt argument should be a string with two characters. If no salt argument is given, a random value is used.
When I execute the following statement several times, then I get each time another value
Code:
SELECT ENCRYPT( 'mysecretpassword' );
Now the question: What is the right "salt" Value to get always the same output as the system crypt() function?

thanks for help & greets
Roman
Sponsored Links
Old 9th August 2007, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_killer
What is the right "salt" Value to get always the same output as the system crypt() function?
I Just figured out that the salt value is always the first two chars of the password...

So with this statement it works:
Code:
SELECT * FROM users WHERE (email='$email') AND (password=ENCRYPT('$pass', SUBSTR(password, 1, 2)))
The Following User Says Thank You to knight_killer For This Useful Post:
falko (10th August 2007)