Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th July 2007, 19:28

Default How do I resolve "X server...not set up correctly"?

Before the Ubuntu 7.04 CD finished loading on my ThinkPad T-60 (with preinstalled Vista Ultimate) the following error message came up:"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem? <Yes> <No>"

I input the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg." This started the text-based wizard to reconfigure X. After answering all the questions I was brought back to the input screen with the following message:

"xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customized configuration file; backup in/etc/X11/xorg.conf.20070729111015."

I have no idea what to input next. Can anyone assist me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 31st July 2007, 09:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,420 Times in 4,262 Posts

Please run the command:

startx

Does the xserver start or do you get any error messages?