Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 31st July 2007, 13:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,732 Times in 2,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidevi
4. When I send mail through my web page I get an OK but no mail is ever sent (again!)
What's in the mail log when this happens?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 1st August 2007, 15:15

Default I cannot tell you that

I cannot tell you (yet) what's in the mail log because I removed Debian and reinstalled Fedora Core 6 to reproduce the sendmail/smarthost configuration once again.

Unfortunately, I failed, because all of the sudden FC6 told me its mirror sources were exhausted or something like that.

So I tried Debian Etch's Perfect Setup again, but unfortunately I never got passed the moment where I have to give the mysql myserver.mydomain.com root password. This problem has been addressed in this forum but the solution in the earlier case was not suitable for me.

I'll get back to this issue later, but I've got to get one thing off my chest: I am a long time Mac user (since 1986) and I am beginning to come to the conclusion that Linux is the solution for people with a lot of patience and time who cannot afford a Mac.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:58

Default Check this PHP form

1. Where can I check my mail log?

2. Download and check this PHP mail form script:
http://www.lekkah.com/mailz.zip
(edit the mailz.php file: put your own mail address above the line written in capitals in order to receive and check the test mail you'll send).

The PHP mail script (also Perl scripts) runs flawlessly on PC1 with FC6. On PC2 I have Debian Etch installed, perfect setup, with ISPConfig. I didn't do anything differently in those two cases, but neither PHP nor CGI form mail work on PC2. I get the success message but no mail is ever received.

For me this is crucial, because I use form mail on my websites. If I cannot get it to work with Debian Etch I'll be stuck with FC6 for the rest of my life.

Appreciate your help.
Old 17th August 2007, 15:46

Default One more clue

In case someone runs into the same problem as I did, here is a new development.

On PC1 I've got FC6 running. Formmail works.

On PC2 I tried several distro's. Even when I tried to reproduce PC1's FC6 installation, Formmail might work one time but the next time it might not. At this moment I'm lucky again: formmail works.

What did I change? When I installed Fedora 7, I made sure that the domain name I chose was the same one as the one on PC1. So if PC1 is abc.dummy.com, then PC2 is now xyz.dummy.com.

What's so important about the domain name in a LAN situation if no further connections depend on it? I'm not sure. My ISP is 1und1 and it could be that once their system excepts domain dummy.com they refuse domain dummier.com and any other domain name for the same customer.

If anyone has a better explanation, please, be my guest.
Old 18th August 2007, 19:11

Default Solved

Installed Debian Etch - The Perfect Setup on my second PC with the same domain name as the first PC.

That made the difference: formmail is working.

Thank me!