Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2007, 16:06

This worked. After removing ispconfig_server from automatic startup i am now able to see the login screen. Although the gnome desktop is not fully functional. All the desktop icons work, but none of the taskbar or menu buttons work. I changed the greeter from gdmgreeter to gdmlogin and booted with kde and it works fine, i can start and restart and work like normal.

Why would the ispconfig system interfere with gnome so badly that even after disabling ispconfig_server it still has changed some of the settings and basically disbaled gnome. I would prefer to use gnome than kde as it is less resource hungry. But for now everything is working under kde anyway.

Thanks till

Brad
Sponsored Links
Old 17th July 2007, 18:41
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koekbr
Why would the ispconfig system interfere with gnome so badly that even after disabling ispconfig_server it still has changed some of the settings and basically disbaled gnome. I would prefer to use gnome than kde as it is less resource hungry. But for now everything is working under kde anyway.
That's the first time I hear of such a problem...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 18th July 2007, 14:42

i have the exact same problem described in this thread, i performed a virtually full isntall of fedora core 7, and after installing ispconfig, the computer does not boot up anymore, it shows a black screen with a cursor that appears to be "busy"

SSH putty works so i can access everything and the computer seems to be running as if nothing is wrong, however i cannot get the graphical interface working

please, i hope someone can help out soon!
Old 18th July 2007, 14:49
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,661 Times in 4,468 Posts

I guess thats not the smae problem that the first poster had in this thread. It looks like you encrypted your SSL key accidently, you will have to create new unencrypted SSL keys as described here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...t=firefox+8182
Old 18th July 2007, 14:57

it is the same problem, my cpu usage shows 70% cpu usage on gdmgreeter upon startup/freezing

also my keys are not encrypted, when ispconfig asked if i would like to encrypt i said "no" to both times

also the first time i installed i defaulted to the Yes both times, but reinstalled the fedora with no to both times and the problem is exactly the same

this issue isn't related to the encryption of the keys at all, something funny is going on with gdmgreeter, tried to update gdm as well but it didn't help
Old 19th July 2007, 15:35
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

I think this could be related to ClamAV: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...t=clamassassin

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:11

I had same problem, after restart ispconfig on fedora 7 login screen won't come up anymore. Command line working normally and process gdmgreeter takes full CPU...
Is there somebody who can describe me what is purpose of gdmgreeter process.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:31

Everything started when ispconfig install script connecting to mysql server to make necessary databases and initialize ispconfig panel, then /usr/libexec/fast-user-switch-applet takes all CPU usage (100%) and after restart login screen won't come up and another process gdmgreeter process takes CPU usage (100%). Killing these processes don't give any solutions, process will be started automatically again.

I trying to switch KDE desktop instead of GNOME, maybe it helps...
Old 28th July 2007, 06:01

Add me to the list of people with the same issue. I followed the fedora 7 perfect server to the letter, answered "no" to the encryptions and gnome doesn't load. So, I'm just hitting ctl-alt-f1 when it comes up to kill the gui and letting it run with the CLI on screen. I know you said you never heard of this before, but there appears to be a bug in 2.2.15 with gnome/fedora 7
Old 28th July 2007, 10:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,661 Times in 4,468 Posts

Its a bug in GDM that causes the gdm login manager to run at 100% CPU power when ISPConfig is installed. ISPConfig is running and starting fine on these fedora 7 gnome desktops.

The only known solution is to replace the gnome desktop with a kde desktop:

yum remove gdm
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop

and add the following two lines to the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

But as I posted already in this thread, we roceommend to not install a desktop enviroment at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
aranthorn (31st July 2007)
Closed Thread