Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd November 2005, 19:46

Default DNS service and files

Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you with this again but i really don't find any answers.

I've made an /init.d/bind stop and when i go to see inside ISPconfig services panel the bind server stills online, i really don't get it.
What can i do to stop the bind service associated with ISPconfig ?

I would like to know if i create a domain using ISP config where will it put the files related to that domain ?

Thank you for your help,

Jean-Jacques
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd November 2005, 20:26
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,655 Times in 4,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanjacquesjeanjacques
I've made an /init.d/bind stop and when i go to see inside ISPconfig services panel the bind server stills online, i really don't get it.
What can i do to stop the bind service associated with ISPconfig ?
In ISPConfig go to Management > Server > Services. Set the status for DNS to Off and hit safe.

Quote:
I would like to know if i create a domain using ISP config where will it put the files related to that domain ?
/home/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or /var/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or in another webroot if you chose an other path as you installed ISPConfig.
Old 24th November 2005, 11:06

Default DNS files et default config

Quote:
In ISPConfig go to Management > Server > Services. Set the status for DNS to Off and hit safe.
Ok thank you for this, it's working perfectly.

Quote:
/home/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or /var/www/www.yourdomain.com/web/ or in another webroot if you chose an other path as you installed ISPConfig.
I have followed the default installation but all my files are located inside /home/www/my.wesite.net

I'm still very confused because i thought that my DNS zone file related to my website would be also be in this folder but it's not, i'm not sure but after spending some time to look for it i believe that the file is located inside the /etc/bind folder.

I have also tried to see if the zone file generated by ISPconfig was correct but apprently not, http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=eatn.net
What am i doing wrong ?

Best regards,

Jean-Jacques
Old 24th November 2005, 11:29
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
I have followed the default installation but all my files are located inside /home/www/my.wesite.net
Yes, and your html files, php, etc, goes into /home/www/my.wesite.net/web.

Quote:
I'm still very confused because i thought that my DNS zone file related to my website would be also be in this folder but it's not, i'm not sure but after spending some time to look for it i believe that the file is located inside the /etc/bind folder.
It depends on your distribution where the DNS files are. For Debian and Ubuntu it's /etc/bind, for others it might be /var/named, /var/lib/named, ...
Quote:
I have also tried to see if the zone file generated by ISPconfig was correct but apprently not, http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=eatn.net
What am i doing wrong ?
Is your nameserver authoritative for your domain? Do you use one or more nameservers for your domain? Do they have static public IP addresses, or are they in a local network?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 24th November 2005, 11:44

Smile dns with isp config

Thank you Falko for your precious help, it's very nice.

Quote:
Is your nameserver authoritative for your domain? Do you use one or more nameservers for your domain? Do they have static public IP addresses, or are they in a local network?
I have one server which is doing dns, http(s), php and mail under debian stable.
So yes i have only one nameserver for my domains.
I have one static public adress for 3 different domains.
My server is connected to the internet thru a router (i have configured a NAT table on this router to forward to my server port 80, 81,53,110 etc..).

Before using ISPconfig everything was working properly, so i presume i have to learn how to user ISPconfig properly because it's such a fantastic and powerfull tool !

But i've readen the admin's doc one more time but i don't really find complementary informations about how to set up my dns correctly.

Do you know what's wrong ?

This is my pri.eatn.net file:
Code:
$TTL        86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.eatn.net. admin.eatn.net. (
                        2005112406       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                        28800              ; refresh, seconds
                        7200              ; retry, seconds
                        604800              ; expire, seconds
                        86400 )            ; minimum, seconds
;
                NS      ns1.eatn.net.              ; Inet Address of name server 1
                NS      ns2.eatn.net.              ; Inet Address of name server 2
;

www  MX      10 strategic-monitoring.com.

eatn.net.      A        193.251.177.175
ns2.eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175
ns1.eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175
eatn.net       A       193.251.177.175

www.eatn.net       CNAME  eatn.net.

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

Last edited by jeanjacquesjeanjacques; 24th November 2005 at 11:48.
Old 24th November 2005, 12:54
Super Moderator

Did you forward port 53 TCP and UDP from your router to your server?

I doubt that you want this:
Quote:
www MX 10 strategic-monitoring.com.
I guess you want

Quote:
MX 10 strategic-monitoring.com.
because you want to send emails to <user>@eatn.net and not <user>@www.eatn.net, right?

O, I tried a dig eatn.net and got no answer section which means there's something wrong. I guess the problem is that ns1.eatn.net is the authoritative name server for eatn.net. It's the hen <-> egg problem. Try to use another domain for the name server.

Old 27th November 2005, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
O, I tried a dig eatn.net and got no answer section which means there's something wrong. I guess the problem is that ns1.eatn.net is the authoritative name server for eatn.net. It's the hen <-> egg problem. Try to use another domain for the name server.
I have the same problem. Do you mean that ns1.eatn.net should use other Managed DNS server first and then ns1.eatn.net can become authoritavie name server for eatn.net or other virturn domains?
Old 27th November 2005, 10:25
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,655 Times in 4,464 Posts

ns1.eatn.net can only become autoritive nameserver for other domains, but never for itself (eatn.net).
Old 27th November 2005, 11:31

If I registered test1.com.tw at ISP "octor.com" and want to use dns.test1.com.tw as my nameserver for test1.com.tw. I have to use ISP's Managed DNS server at rsdn1.octor.com to resolve dns.test1.com.tw to my external IP address first. Then I can use dns.test1.com.tw to act as a nameserver for test1.com.tw and test2.com.tw or other domains. Am I right or still misunderstaning something?
Old 27th November 2005, 16:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa hsiao
If I registered test1.com.tw at ISP "octor.com" and want to use dns.test1.com.tw as my nameserver for test1.com.tw. I have to use ISP's Managed DNS server at rsdn1.octor.com to resolve dns.test1.com.tw to my external IP address first. Then I can use dns.test1.com.tw to act as a nameserver for test1.com.tw and test2.com.tw or other domains. Am I right or still misunderstaning something?
You're still misunderstanding something. You can't use dns.test1.com.tw as name server for test1.com.tw, as Till mentioned above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
ns1.eatn.net can only become autoritive nameserver for other domains, but never for itself (eatn.net).