Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th June 2007, 17:25

Default A sound card that works right out of the box?

I have installed PCLInuxOS on my brother's computer. Everything went wonderfully except the sound didn't work and he loves to record CD's and watch DVD's. So he needs sound.

He has the Creative Labs Soundblaster CT5880. I've tried evrything. Disabled the onboard soundcard (AC97). Tried different drivers, used #alsaconf, checked the Kmix settings 20 times. Well this is it. This system needs a sound card that works right out of the box.

If you have a sound card that worked with no tinkering or programming please list it for me. I do not want to waste any more time with this thing.

I need a simple soundcard, not too expensive that PCLinuxOS recognizes and configures and plays right out of the box.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 15th June 2007, 18:12

Well waiting.

Has anyone ever heard of a sound card that works with PCLInuxOS 2007 that doesn't require being a programming expert? I need something plug and play.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2007, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by amslink
Well waiting.

Has anyone ever heard of a sound card that works with PCLInuxOS 2007 that doesn't require being a programming expert? I need something plug and play.

Thanks.
Most Sound Blasters are indeed plug and play (to a certain extent). Download and run the alsamixer (Google it to find out more) and you should be good to go.