Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th June 2007, 21:59

Talking How to change password for email account?

Hi all,

After to try some configurations to solve the problem with password change, I did not get success.

The users have access its accounts of email, send and receive messages without no problem.

I need that the mailuser has accepted the access of the username. I used a tip of cryptic and Torfinn Nome and ./W so that the squirrelmail has accepted the access through the format user@domain.com, but if the user try to have access mailuser with domain.com_username is shown "Error: Password error: Authentication failed."

Some tip?

Thanks in advance.

If anything can go wrong, will, and will give wrong in the worst way, in the worst moment and in order to cause the most damage possible. (Murphy's Law)

Last edited by soho; 6th June 2007 at 22:06.
Sponsored Links
Old 7th June 2007, 09:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,331 Times in 4,183 Posts

Are you really sure that you use the mailuser login and not the normal ISPConfig login? The mailuser login does a lookup for the username when you enter the email address. The mailuserlogin is at:

http://www.yourdomain.com:81/mailuser/
Old 7th June 2007, 13:29

Till, what I want is that the user (owner of the email account) can modify its password without the intervention of the ISP support. It will be requested to have access the URL http://www.mydomain.com:81/mailuser/, to insert its username and the password initially (created for the ISP support) and to modify for a password of its preference.

If anything can go wrong, will, and will give wrong in the worst way, in the worst moment and in order to cause the most damage possible. (Murphy's Law)
Old 7th June 2007, 13:33
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,331 Times in 4,183 Posts

Quote:
Till, what I want is that the user (owner of the email account) can modify its password without the intervention of the ISP support.
Yes. And the solution is the mailuser login as I posted in my previous post.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
soho (7th June 2007)
Old 7th June 2007, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Yes. And the solution is the mailuser login as I posted in my previous post.

thanks for the reply.

but if the user try to have access http://www.mydomain.com:81/mailuser/ with domain.com_username is shown "Error: Password error: Authentication failed." and if the user try ho have access http://www.mydomain.com:81/mailuser/ with user@domain.com is shown "Error: User Unknown".

Old 7th June 2007, 15:00

If I remember correctly it must be the username as specified in the /etc/passwd file.
Old 7th June 2007, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlz
If I remember correctly it must be the username as specified in the /etc/passwd file.

This exactly, I am using the username created in /etc/passwd (domain.com_username) and I am shown the error: "Error: Password error: Authentication failed.", but the password and the username are correct.

Perhaps this occurs because I am using the var [DOMAIN] in the general configuration of the server. (eg. domain.com_username), but not yet I found the error.

This is structure:

#cat /etc/passwd
vialivre.net_falecom:x:10002:10001:Fale Conosco:/var/www/web1/user/vialivre.net_falecom:/bin/false

[root@ispconfig]# ls /var/www/www.vialivre.net/user/vialivre.net_falecom/
Maildir web

Old 7th June 2007, 15:46

I found this log in /var/log/secure:

Jun 7 10:35:35 ispconfig dovecot-auth: pam_succeed_if(dovecot:auth): error retrieving information about user _vialivre.net_falecom

How I configure so that underscore of the beginning is not passed to authenticate?

Old 7th June 2007, 16:18

The way that I configured in dovecont.conf ( auth_username_format = “%Ld_%Ln” ) and in /squirrelmail/config/config.php ( I removed the line: $plugins [] = “vlogin”; ), the authentication in the squirrelmail and pop3 function perfectly, but for the authentication in http://www.domain.com:81/mailuser/ the underscore in the front of the username it does not allow the authentication of correct form.

I don't know how to solve this. If anybody it will be able to help, I am very grateful.

Old 8th June 2007, 10:58

Send a message via ICQ to torusturtle Send a message via AIM to torusturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho
but if the user try to have access http://www.mydomain.com:81/mailuser/ with domain.com_username is shown "Error: Password error: Authentication failed." and if the user try ho have access http://www.mydomain.com:81/mailuser/ with user@domain.com is shown "Error: User Unknown".
Did you activate "Mailuser Login" under ISP Manager -> Sites -> "Your Domain" -> Basis ?