Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th May 2007, 04:21

Default How to expand screen resolution without acclerated graphics driver...

Hi,
I'm on Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 and I have an ATI Radeon X-1650 graphics card. I've learned the hard way that I'd best leave the accelerated graphics driver un-installed. (It is listed in the Restricted Driver Manager as not enabled. I've tried installing it many times and it always gives me a blank screen on my reboot.)

So the highest I have for screen resolution is 1024 x 768 and I know my monitor can go up to at least 1440 x 900 and maybe higher.

Is there a way to maximize my resolution and get it higher without having to install or deal with the accelerated graphics driver?

I do appreciate any guidance on this. Many Thanks, Frank
Sponsored Links
Old 30th May 2007, 16:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

You can change the screen resolution in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 30th May 2007, 17:31

Thanks Falko. Your solution might have been more simple. I may have tried it, but I can't remember. Anywyas, this is what I did & it worked. I rebooted and went into recovery mode, then I entered, 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'

The text-based graphics reconfiguration wizard came up. Choosing the 'Vesa' driver was the key. (kind of anti-intuitive since I have an ati card and ati was on the list, but...whatever) Another fellow suggested the Vesa Driver and until I chose that driver, the reconfiguation wizard was not going to work.

Also it was suggested that I look up my monitor's horizontal freq. rate and vertical refresh rate in my monitor's manual, so I could enter them directly into the wizard. And I also went into my dual boot XP and wrote down all the screen resolutions so I could enter them correctly into the wizard as well.

And Finally! It worked; it was very satisfying to learn all of this. One slight downer was that I didn't get the absolute highest resolution (1600 x 1040), but the next highest (1280 x 1024). This is still a lot better than 1024 x 768, so I'm sticking with it.

I learned during this that there is a program called Envy, which a fellow suggested would install the accelerated driver for my Ati X1650. And I tried that, and it indeed gave me the highest resolution, but it only worked on my second 15 kernel (not on 16) so that kind of weirded me out, so I actually had to do the xserver reconfiguration again !! So it worked twice for me.

Thanks for your help and assistance,..Frank
The Following User Says Thank You to Brightbelt For This Useful Post:
falko (31st May 2007)