Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 26th May 2007, 11:58
HowtoForge Supporter

Default E-mail delivered to wrong account

This is what I did:
  • Create a site www.domain.tld with DNS and DNS-MX checked. In this site created a user webXX_user1 with e-mail address user1@domain.tld and Administrator and catchAll-Email checked.
  • Create a site user2.domain.tld with DNS checked. In this site created a user webYY_user2 with e-mail address user2@domain.tld and Administrator and catchAll-Email checked.

The problem is that e-mails addressed to user2 end up in the mailbox of user1. After I first discovered that, I also checked DNS-MX of site user2.domain.tld but that doesn't make a difference.

Two observations:
  • When creating a sub domain in this manner, ISPConfig constructs a default e-mail address in the primary domain for users of the sub domain and it can not be changed.
  • Both the primary domain and the sub domain can have the catchAll-Email checked, while e-mail addresses for both domains "live" in the primary domain. I can imagine conflicts arising from that.

Any idea what's going wrong here and how I can solve it?
Sponsored Links
Old 26th May 2007, 12:25
HowtoForge Supporter

I figured it out. I'm still a Linux newbie so it took me some time before inspecting /etc/postfix/virtusertable. In there I discovered that the actual e-mail address created for the user of the subdomain is not user2@domain.tld, as ISPConfig shows on the ISP USer form, but user2@user2.domain.tld, just as one might expect. So the apparent problem turns out to be a small bug in ISPConfig.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,490 Times in 4,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdevries
I figured it out. I'm still a Linux newbie so it took me some time before inspecting /etc/postfix/virtusertable. In there I discovered that the actual e-mail address created for the user of the subdomain is not user2@domain.tld, as ISPConfig shows on the ISP USer form, but user2@user2.domain.tld, just as one might expect. So the apparent problem turns out to be a small bug in ISPConfig.
No thats not a bug, thats the intended behaviour. Email addresses where created for the main domain and all co-domains of a website if you do not set a domain to external mailserver.

You just missed to create a co-domain with empty hostname for this website. This co-domain is created automatically when you did not set the domain limit too low.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:48
HowtoForge Supporter

Thanx for the reply. Unfortunately I think I totally don't understand what you are trying to explain, which, by the way, is not your fault but probably my lack of knowledge and experience

What I still don't understand is, why ISPConfig shows user@domain.tld as the (default) e-mail address of the user in the sub domain, while I would expect to see user@sub.domain.nl, which is also what I see in /etc/postfix/virtusertable. That's what's confusing me.

By the way, I deliberately did not create a co-domain and followed one of your topics about creating a sub domain by creating a new site in the main domain. Why would I want to "create a co-domain with empty hostname"?
Old 27th May 2007, 16:13
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdevries
By the way, I deliberately did not create a co-domain and followed one of your topics about creating a sub domain by creating a new site in the main domain. Why would I want to "create a co-domain with empty hostname"?
Because otherwise you have an email address like user@www.example.com, and not user@example.com.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 27th May 2007, 19:19
HowtoForge Supporter

Thumbs up

Aha, I didn't know that. In this particular case it's not a problem and maybe even preferable, but it's good to keep in mind for other situations.

Thanks again.