Old 6th June 2006, 00:06
Local Meanie

Default IP Ban Service

Hiya

As guestbook/forum spamming becomes more and more a problem me and a buddy of mine had a solution:
Taking the concept of RBLs and making it suitable for the www.

Since my skills are limited to PHP I wanted to make it easy to implement this kind of RBL.
In the end I got a little script that can be entered at the beginning of PHP files.

If you are interested in finding out more about this, please visit: http://www.regenmacher.ch
The site is far from being finished yet however the IP blocking service works already.

Now, the main question is how do we get the IPs that are put onto the black list? As of now I only enter IPs that are suspicious on the server. Either entered into the hosts.deny file (http://www.howtoforge.com/preventing...with_denyhosts) or from fake signups at different forums that I run on the server or guestbooks.

As of now all IPs entered will be stored (forever) in the db and the blocking works like this:
Upon first submission into the db the IP will be blocked for 1 month. If the IP is entered into the db again, then it will be blocked forever - or until the ISP in question took according measures to stop abuse of other peoples sites through their services.

Now, since all IPs entered into the db will be automatically blocked the question arises who does enter IPs into the db. As of now it's only me and my buddy. However if you also wish to submit IPs please contact me.

sjau
Sponsored Links
Old 6th June 2006, 13:14
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

It's a very interesting project. I recommend to visit the regenmacher.ch web site to get an idea of the project.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 7th June 2006, 00:29
Local Meanie

Feedback is also welcomed