mydnsimport issue is how I fixed this..
I used mydnsimport to shove our dns1 into a mydns system. Using mydnsconfig was pretty easy -I had to hack the install a bit for my apache2 (Suse 10 Enterprise) but its working now.
I also rec'd the "You do not have permission..." message. After double checking the db permissions for the backend login on the mydnsconfig site, and finding I really did do that part correctly, I went looking at the tables.
Nothing stood out so I built a bogus entry in the system. Aha!
In my SOA table -these columns were null on all auto-imports, but 1 on the bogus entry: sys_userid, sys_groupid
Also in SOA table -these columns said, "riud": sys_permuser, sys_permgroup.
I ran an update query that went something like this:
SET sys_userid = 1, sys_groupid = 1, sys_permuser = 'riud', sys_permgroup = 'riud';
Tada! Now when I click on an imported SOA I can go browse the groups.
A minor detail, but I bet someone has bumped into it and gotten frustrated.
This could be why making groups and moving users works. It sets the ids whereas they may be null w/o this.
A default value of 1 might be good on the table defs, then anything inserted will always drop into the admin group bucket... just don't forget the 'riud' as well!