Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 28th April 2007, 18:31

Default Joomla - Can't install components or templates

I have set up Joomla on a website I created using ISPConfig on my Server, whenever I try to install something I get this message:

Code:
Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/www.dnet.za.net/web/media/com_jce_110_beta2.zip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/web6/) in /var/www/web6/web/administrator/components/com_installer/admin.installer.php on line 175
how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 28th April 2007, 19:45

Send a message via Skype™ to Leszek

How did You install Joomla! on this server ? I mean did You rename configuration.php-dist to configuration.php and change the settings by hand (that's only an idea) or did You let the installer fill it with data by itself ?
Anyway I think that Joomla! wants to install a module or a theme in a directory that it shouldn't so it has to be a configuration problem with Joomla!.

Last edited by Leszek; 28th April 2007 at 23:14.
Old 29th April 2007, 00:01

Nevermind, I was stupid. I enabled PHP Safemode by mistake. thanks anyway
Old 29th April 2007, 00:04

Joomla! can properly run on a server with php safe mode ON and You should be able to install what You want.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:06

I'm sure it can, Joomla! RULES!! but I guess ISPConfig add all kinds of wierd resrtictions to safemode.

Because the error says "open_basedir restriction in effect" now I'm very new to Linux and the PHP/HTML enviroment, but I think Joomla was trying to place the files to be insatlled in their correct directories, and it started at the "/var" directory searching up the directory tree, and because "/var" is not allowed to be read by any website with safemode, it threw me an error.

thats my logic I suppose, all PHP professionals PLEASE COMMENT, I gotta learn someday, lol.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:24

If it was like You say it would cause a lot incompatibility problems with lots of php applications and scripts.The setting "open_basedir" can be set in php.ini and it is related to php safe mode.
This can also be a file permissions problem.

Last edited by Leszek; 29th April 2007 at 13:29.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:32

Naa, I set all my files to chmod 0777 and no luck, and yes it did cause problems with another php script "phpSysInfo-2.5.3" which only started working after I turned off Safemode
Old 29th April 2007, 13:40

Quote:
Naa, I set all my files to chmod 0777 and no luck...
When a script is executed in safe mode,PHP checks if the executed script belongs to the user that want's to execute it.If not,You can get errors.

Quote:
and yes it did cause problems with another php script "phpSysInfo-2.5.3" which only started working after I turned off Safemode
Yes.PhpSysInfo cannot run with php safe mode on because it uses functions that are restricted in this mode.The author of this script wrote everything in the readme.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leszek
When a script is executed in safe mode,PHP checks if the executed script belongs to the user that want's to execute it.If not,You can get errors.
I also chowned the files:- www-data:www-data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leszek
Yes.PhpSysInfo cannot run with php safe mode on because it uses functions that are restricted in this mode.The author of this script wrote everything in the readme.
Ye, I did see that.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:59

When I tested ISPConfig i noticed that file and directory ownership was different than www-data:www-data.They depend on the user of the account,ex. leszek:web2.