Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 11th November 2005, 23:20

Default ISPConfig https://www.[...].com:81 need help

When I type http://www.mydomain.com I get an 'Index of /' page, which displays apache2-default and webalizer folders. Also when I start my server up it says ISPConfig system is now up and running!

However..

https://www.mydomain.com:81 doesn't work..

I'm using Zoneedit to point the mydomain to my static ip. Now in the 'How To' it has me setup bind9 which means I now have a DNS server up. It would seem logical that I should be using my own DNS server and not Zoneedits. However this isn't detailed in the 'How To' so I'm confused. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can learn more? If I had to guess I would think I need to setup a DNS record to point a CNAME to my bind9. But I have no Idea how to do this, or how long it would take to propegate.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Geoinline; 12th November 2005 at 00:05.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th November 2005, 00:33
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

You cannot use your ISPConfig DNS Server for the main domain of the server itself. Thats the Hen <==> Egg problem

Use the DNS Server of your domain registrar for your first domain and point it to your server. For all other domains you register you can use your own DNS Server.

The propagation of a DNS Record may take up to 48 hours.
Old 14th December 2005, 09:36

Yes , but what nameservers do we give clients?
One would assume if my site is www.mysite.com
it would be ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com but I doubt these are set up in the Full ISP guide (I used Ubuntu).

To make it a short simple question, if the site is called mysite.com what do you tell customers to point their domain to? Surely not Zoneedit's DNS servers, or at least hopefully (dont want customers going to zoneedit.com and thinking/knowing we are running a Mini/JR webhosting co).
Old 14th December 2005, 12:40
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

Assumption: you have a domain mysite.com and you use zoneedit to manage it.

1) Go to zoneedit and add two A records ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com both pointing to the IP of your server.

2) Now you can tell your customers that your nameservers are ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com.