Old 26th April 2007, 17:49

Default Beryl install

Good Morning. I'm stuck and need a little help please. I really am trying to learn the command line, but I'm still having problems.

I'm trying to install beryl using instructions found here http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon . (I have the ATI Radeon 9200 also) After copying/pasting and saving the edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I tried to restart X with a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (3/4 down on page 1 instructions) and upon rebooting it tells me 'Failed to start X server. Would you like to view the prob? I click 'yes'. It lists various info regarding versions and build date, and then 'markers' for various probs. The marker (--) is for 'default setting. Faults shown are:

(--) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Apr 26 10:11:07 2007
(--) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

The way I read this is that it's reading the /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. (I'm am right?) Honestly, I don't know when or where (or even if it should) the /var/log/Xorg.0.log comes into play; therefore, I don't understand how to fix this.

Exiting this screen says "The X server is now disabled. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly." Clicking on 'OK' takes me to a black screened login.

I thought I would go back and check/re-edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but Im too stupid to figure out the 'gedit' command. No matter what I do with it, it tells me that I should go to gedit --help.

I sure would appreciate some help
Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2007, 14:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts

gedit works only if you have a working desktop. It's not for the command line. On the command line you can use editors such as vi, joe, nano, etc. Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/12_15_en.html

What's in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf now? Maybe you made a typo somewhere?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: