Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th April 2007, 00:25

Default Moving ISPConfig from Suse 10.1 to Debian Etch

Hi everyone!

I moved ISPConfig from Suse 10.1 to Debian Etch, following the step-by-step tutorial from here.

All went almost perfectly well. I set up the Debian Etch system as per the how-to (The Perfect Setup). Installed the same version of ISPConfig. Imported sql dumps, verified users, restated web sites (permission were ok), the server started and with a few more tweaks it was well working.

The problem is that when I create a new DNS record, the system creates a new zone file pri.domain.tld wih the whole data for the respective domain in /var/lib/named. The symlink /etc/bind points to /var/lib/named/etc/bind.

Now I have to manually copy the updated files on the right folder. I thought I'd make symlinks, but this is also true for new domains (I checked).

One other thing: on Suse 10.1, the sites were in /srv/www. On Debian they are on /var/www. Of course, I put a symlink there and that was it, but what about the zone files?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

grasomega

P.S. I think there are not so many sites on my server, so I could actually set them up manually again, but I'm sure that this will help some other users with some more complicated setup.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2007, 11:41
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

Quote:
The problem is that when I create a new DNS record, the system creates a new zone file pri.domain.tld wih the whole data for the respective domain in /var/lib/named. The symlink /etc/bind points to /var/lib/named/etc/bind.
Please set the path to the correct new folder for the DNS files in ISPConfig under management > server > settings on the DNS tab. Also make sure that this path must be world readable in the file system, but if you followed the perfect setup, the permissions should be already ok.

Quote:
One other thing: on Suse 10.1, the sites were in /srv/www. On Debian they are on /var/www. Of course, I put a symlink there and that was it, but what about the zone files?
Another solution would have been to move the site files to /var/www and the change the site root directory in ISPConfig under management > server > settings on the web tab.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:33

till,

thanks a lot for the quick reply - I knew I shoulda RTFM better .

anyway, I think the moving how-to is one of the best ISPC how-to's. only I was stupid/too tired.

have a nice weekend!

grasomega
Old 27th April 2007, 12:42

[QUOTEI moved ISPConfig from Suse 10.1 to Debian Etch[/QUOTE]

A wise decision!

MrHostman | Master in managed hosting