Old 24th May 2007, 02:09

Default Share users?

Hey All!

Only about 6 hours old to ISPConfig but so far 3 sites setup and working just fine. Quick question I can't seem to find an answer to:

How do you share users between sites?

Scenario: I have multiple sites I run under one domain. That domain is currently broken into three sites in ISPConfig subd1.domain.com subd2.domain.com and subd3.domain.com. I don't want to have to remember three seperate logins to manage the content of each site. So I would basically like to add web1_user1 to the web2 and web3 groups. Do I have to do this manually (IE in /etc/groups) or does ISPConfig provide a way for me to do and manage this in the interface?

Any help appreciated....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 24th May 2007, 06:48

Send a message via MSN to danf.1979

I did a test here, but It didn't let me add the same user in a different site. It could be a nice feature though...
Old 24th May 2007, 08:15
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

User sharing will not work because a linux system user can not have 3 home directories at the same time and every website has ist own directory.

If you really need to manage all sites at once, create just one site and redirect the subdomains with apache rewrite rules to subdirectories of that website.
Old 24th May 2007, 14:00

I have a feeling that the setup is a little off on my machine cause as a user I can backtrack into the FS....I thought the setup was supposed to jail the user to their home dir but it doesn't.

This isn't a terrible thing for my particular setup at present since I'm the only one using the system and any user I give access to will be a trusted user. I'm using ISPConfig for ease of server management as I add and remove sites regularly (development).

So I manually added my user from web1 to the groups for web2 and web3 and it works like a charm. However I would like to know what I did wrong to allow the user out of their homedir in case I want to lock things down in the future.

Any idea?
Old 24th May 2007, 17:37

Send a message via MSN to danf.1979

Wink

If I recall correctly, there is a howto that explains chrooting ssh users. There are also several posts about the subject. Just search with "chroot" as one of the keywords...