Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 28th November 2005, 22:49

Default Virtual host?

How do you properly set up a client with all the complete features avaiblable including email server hosting?

I'm quite sure how to test the setup after I've followed the documentation for ISPConfig.

Like how do I point a registered domain name of my client to my ISPConfig server virtual webhosting?
Sponsored Links
Old 29th November 2005, 01:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic
Like how do I point a registered domain name of my client to my ISPConfig server virtual webhosting?
In most cases the registrar of the domain provides a web interface for managing the DNS records (unless someone else is taking care of the DNS records).
In such a web interface you can change the IP addresses that the various domains/sub-domains point to.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th November 2005, 02:04

I'm using zoneedit DNS Authority (Name Server) and it's pointing back to my home server (FDC 3) which is connected through the internet via ADSL modem using dynamic IP.

Now, if have two domain name setup in zoneedit, how will ISPConfig resolve the Domain Name and find the correct virtual host for each of the domain name? Hope it makes sense...

Sorry about this as I get confused on about this matter. I'm just trying to get the website displayed for a client that I created and access it from the internet using a registered domain name.
Old 29th November 2005, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
No, here you must use the internal IP addresses (the ones you see when you run
Code:
ifconfig
on the shell).

No, Server 1 is ok. It has nothing to do with the real hostname.
Thanks a lot for all the patience and guideness you guys offered to me. I finally get the correct resolution for ISPConfig settings and now all my managed websites can be resolved from remote computers.
Old 29th November 2005, 19:14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic
I'm using zoneedit DNS Authority (Name Server) and it's pointing back to my home server (FDC 3) which is connected through the internet via ADSL modem using dynamic IP.

Now, if have two domain name setup in zoneedit, how will ISPConfig resolve the Domain Name and find the correct virtual host for each of the domain name? Hope it makes sense...

Sorry about this as I get confused on about this matter. I'm just trying to get the website displayed for a client that I created and access it from the internet using a registered domain name.
All you have to do is point your domains to the correct IP address (your router's public IP address) and forward the right ports (21, 22, 25, 80, 81, ...) from your router to your ISPconfig server. The Apache will then now which page it should server when a request comes.

Old 22nd January 2006, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Ok, this is how I did it:
I register my domains with DirectI. They also offer "Managed DNS".

First, I registered a domain that I use for technical issues only, not for web sites or emails (hostmu.com). For that domain I bought "Managed DNS" and created the A records ns1 - ns6.hostmu.com.
Right now, I use ns5.hostmu.com as primary DNS server, ns6.hostmu.com as secondary DNS. Both run ISPConfig, and I create all records using ISPConfig.
Whenever I want to register a new domain, I create all needed DNS records (A records: www and mail, MX record: mail) before I register the domain. Then I go to DirectI and register the domain, and when I register it, the web interface allows me to put in up to four name servers, so I fill in ns5.hostmu.com and ns6.hostmu.com.
Voilà! That's it!
I don't have technical domain, can I do Suse 10 setup with IP as hostname? I also have "managed NS" can I point 2 domains' A and MX records to one IP? And can I turn off bind and still have different host for one domain ex, www and mail.domain.com resolve to different indexdirs
Finally do Yast updates (including kernel patch) come before or after ISPconfig install?

Last edited by JaJunk; 22nd January 2006 at 22:22.
Old 22nd January 2006, 23:24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJunk
I don't have technical domain, can I do Suse 10 setup with IP as hostname?
Then use localhost.localdomain as hostname. But I strongly recommend to buy a technical domain.

Quote:
I also have "managed NS" can I point 2 domains' A and MX records to one IP?
Sure.
Quote:
And can I turn off bind and still have different host for one domain ex, www and mail.domain.com resolve to different indexdirs
Yes, if the authoritative nameservers for your domain is different from your ISPConfig server.
Quote:
Finally do Yast updates (including kernel patch) come before or after ISPconfig install?
That doesn't matter.

Old 24th January 2006, 12:02

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup...a.com&type=ALL <IE>

How does this work when the nameservers are subdomains of its self

Different ips ?
Old 24th January 2006, 12:12
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Nameservers of a domain can never be the subdomains of itself. Thats the Hen <==> Egg problem. You need at least aseparate "technical" domain for your nameserver, that is hosted on another DNS server.
Old 2nd February 2006, 19:01

Quote:
Both run ISPConfig, and I create all records using ISPConfig.
Whenever I want to register a new domain, I create all needed DNS records (A records: www and mail, MX record: mail) before I register the domain. Then I go to DirectI and register the domain, and when I register it, the web interface allows me to put in up to four name servers, so I fill in ns5.hostmu.com and ns6.hostmu.com.
Voilà! That's it!
So you have two separate servers running identical ISPConfig setups? I'm interested in doing a similar setup as I want to use my own servers as nameservers. How do you keep data synchronized on both servers? It would seem like if your client uploads to ftp.hisdomain.com the nameserver would resolve to one of the servers so they would be inconsistant. How'd you set that up?

Thanks.