Old 4th April 2007, 12:13

Default Subdomains setup

Is there anyway of setting up sub-domains so that they are in subfolders of the main web root, but come up with addresses that match sub.main.com?

Let me be clear about what I want.... My main site is for example abcd.com.

In ISPConfig I create a site for www.abcd.com with a co-domain of abcd.com, and at my DNS host (not ISPConfig) I have an A record for abcd.com and a CNAME for www.abcd.com pointing to abcd.com.

I now want several subdomains, let us say: sub1.abcd.com, sub2.abcd.com and sub3.abcd.com. They will all have different content and content that is different from www.abcd.com, BUT they need to use the same CMS and share an MySQL database in order to share users and possibly forums.

The way I have been trying to do this is to create subfolders to the main document root for each sub-domain, so that the "web" folder has subfolders called sub1, sub2 and sub3, and then create co-domains in ISPConfig under the abcd.com site called sub1, sub2 and sub3, that each forward to the folders above. I then have individual A records at my DNS host for each subsite all pointing to the same IP.

This more or less works, except for one thing - the address in the browser will show up as www.abcd.com/sub1/ instead of sub1.abcd.com even though it is typed in as sub1.abcd.com.

Now, I know it is possible to do this so that the address shows up correctly and with subfolders organized in the way described, but it may not be possible with ISPConfig.

Has anybody managed to set this up with ISPConfig?
Sponsored Links
Old 4th April 2007, 12:26

You can do that with a .htaccess file. (not sure if that is the way you want to do it)
Old 4th April 2007, 12:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,647 Times in 4,457 Posts

If you want to behave all co-domains this way, please have a look here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10554
Old 4th April 2007, 14:43

Perfect - works a treat, thank you very much.