Old 22nd September 2006, 10:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,253 Times in 4,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMostert
I got it working!!!!!!!!!!! Thanx guys!!!!
It does seem to take a long time to save the data and even allow UebiMiau! client to log on, could this be speeded up? and why is it so slow?
How long does it take on your server?

Quote:
Now I would like to know how do i get my clients to connect to this mail server if they use a external mail client... lets say thunderbird or OutlookExperss or something like that??
Just enter the domain name as mailserver in outlook and enable "server requires authentication" in the smtp settings from outlook, thats all
Sponsored Links
Old 25th September 2006, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
How long does it take on your server?
I never timed it but it seams like between 1 and 5 minutes

It is just a problem when i try to add lots of mail boxes with all teir settings... I can however live with thant.

One bug tough:
I hat 1 site <MySite.com> and setted up a few mailboxes (asdf@MySite.com)... all working
Then i changed the domain <USEMySite.com> and all went ok on the save but all of a sudden the webmail did not recognise asdf@USEMySite.com (could not log on eventhough the pass was correct) but still wanted asdf@MySite.com.
I thought if I changed the domain after a few mailboxd that the existing mailboxes would have changed as well.

Another Question:
How do I start a service (lets say MyService in path /usr/local/MyServiceDir ) to run under user MyUser (I am loged on as some other user) and get it to run/start automatically when my server reboot

Last edited by CJMostert; 25th September 2006 at 23:53.
Old 26th September 2006, 04:56

Quote:
I got it working!!!!!!!!!!! Thanx guys!!!!
It does seem to take a long time to save the data and even allow UebiMiau! client to log on, could this be speeded up? and why is it so slow?

Now I would like to know how do i get my clients to connect to this mail server if they use a external mail client... lets say thunderbird or OutlookExperss or something like that??
Just set up Outlook Express as you would for normal mail accounts. Make sure you use the part before the @ sign for the username. Also, make sure you check "Server requires authentication" in the smtp settings.
Old 26th September 2006, 17:43
Super Moderator

The username is not nescessarily th part before the @, you must use the username you set in ISPConfig, this username has normally the form web[ID]_user.
Old 28th September 2006, 08:20

Default Small Bug & a Question

One bug tough:
I had 1 site <MySite.com> and setted up a few mailboxes (asdf@MySite.com)... all working
Then i changed the domain <USEMySite.com> and all went ok on the save but all of a sudden the webmail did not recognise asdf@USEMySite.com (could not log on eventhough the pass was correct) but still wanted asdf@MySite.com.
I thought if I changed the domain after a few mailboxd that the existing mailboxes would have changed as well.

Another Question:
How do I start a service (lets say MyService in path /usr/local/MyServiceDir ) to run under user MyUser (I am loged on as some other user) and get it to run/start automatically when my server reboot
Old 29th September 2006, 11:08
Super Moderator

Quote:
One bug tough:
I had 1 site <MySite.com> and setted up a few mailboxes (asdf@MySite.com)... all working
Did you change the co-domain of the website (the one with the empty host field) too?

Quote:
Another Question:
To start services at boot time, create a init script and add symlinks to the runlevel where you want to start your service.

Many daemons can drop priveliges themself, if not you might be able to switch to another user with su before you start your daemon.
Old 2nd October 2006, 23:25

Quote:
Did you change the co-domain of the website (the one with the empty host field) too?
I actualy do not think I did this. Will remember to do this next time.

Quote:
To start services at boot time, create a init script and add symlinks to the runlevel where you want to start your service.

Many daemons can drop priveliges themself, if not you might be able to switch to another user with su before you start your daemon.
Man you r very clever!! The problem is that My Linux experience is outdated by 7 years and only got a server up and running a few weeks back as you know by your help!!
So eventhough I understand what you are talking about I do not know how the solution would look like, i.e. how does such a init file / script should look like, and how do I do symlinks, etc., etc.
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

You can have a look at the other init scripts in /etc/init.d.
Which distribution do you use?

Creating a symlink goes like that:
Code:
ln -s /path/to/target /path/to/symlink

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:34

Thank you, Falko!

I remember this type of line from you set up of ISPConfig I will have a look at your ISPConfig set up again as well as the scripts in the given path. I am using Fedora 5 as per perfect set up according to the webtutorial. Thank you very much!
Old 5th October 2006, 21:39

Default MX and DynDNS

Hallo again.

All About MX:
I have baught my host names from/at DynDns.
1. Do I need to add a MX record at them as I use ISPConfig and do run a DNS server?
2. If the answer is no to Q1 then: Would it matter If I did add a MX record at them?
3. AND if I had to add a MX record what would my Mail server name be (I do run a mail server as I did the ISP Config setup you provided).

All About DNS:
1. Would my data held on my DNS server get updated by Other DNS servers?
2. If yes How would I see this update, can I look ata file / DB Table to see if it is updated?
3. Would the records in my DNS server be pushed out to other DNS servers to update them?

Thanx Guys