Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th March 2007, 00:16

Default directories in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig renamed?

Hello,

Today I logged into my server as normal to run a few commands, and I discovered that the directories that reside within /home/admispconfig/ispconfig have been renamed to impossible names. The only two files in there are named "n" and "tempı?w?l". The interesting part is that neither one of them can be renamed (I'm assuming because of the question marks), and the file(directory?) "n" cannot be cat'ed either.

The first thing that entered my mind was perhaps the server was hacked, but after checking through the logs and running chkrootkit which I compiled myself right before I used, I am still clueless. Everything else appears to be in order as well.

The system is running Debian Sarge 3.1 and has ISPConfig 2.2.11 installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Spudchat
Sponsored Links
Old 15th March 2007, 08:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

I've not seen this yet. Do you know when this happened. Maybe you can have a look at the lofile from the ISPConfig httpd server if you find any strange activity.

The logfiles are in:

/root/ispconfig/httpd/logs/
Old 15th March 2007, 15:17

All the log files look normal and are from the address of my router. The only thing I can think of is that directory is where some of the webmail componets were stored, which I used frequently up to a couple of days ago when I began to use kmail. Still though, I have no idea how that happened. Fortunately I have backups of everything important, so if a reinstall is needed it won't be too bad, I'll only lose some stats.

Spudchat
Old 15th March 2007, 15:42
Super Moderator

If only directories in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig are not okay, you can try to download the latest ISPconfig version and install it, it will upgrade your ISPConfig installation and will most likely repair the problem without data loss or the need to reinstall everything.
Old 15th March 2007, 17:13

I'm glad you said that . As I was sitting in class the same thing dawned on me and I raced home to ask, but it was allready answered. Everything else runs fine on the server, and appears to be unaltered. Like I said, I am running 2.2.11 allready. So my question now becomes, would the installer let me do that since it detects the version and performs an automatic update?

Thanks for your help and timely replies
Spudchat
Old 15th March 2007, 17:20
Super Moderator

Yes, you can update 2.2.11 with 2.2.11
Old 15th March 2007, 19:04

Hmm, when I tried, it took an unusually long amount of time, and I received a few error messages I never had before. Here are the errors:

Code:
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libclamav.so.2.0.1 /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/lib/libclamav.so.2.0.1
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/lib/libclamav.so.2.0.1': Read-only file system
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/clamav-0.90.1/libclamav'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/clamav-0.90.1/libclamav'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
ERROR: Could not install ClamAV
cd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
cd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/aps.tar.gz': No such file or directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/spamassassin.tar.gz': No such file or directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/uudeview.tar.gz'job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/clamav.tar.gz': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/cronolog': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/cronosplit': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/ispconfig_tcpserver': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/zip': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `binaries/unzip': No such file or directory
tar: spamassassin.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
mv: cannot stat `spamassassin': No such file or directory
tar: uudeview.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `uudeview': No such file or directory
tar: clamav.tar.gz: Cannot openjob-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `clamav'job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
tar: aps.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
./setup2: line 860: ispconfig_tmp/php/bin/php: No such file or directory
ERROR: The PHP binary coming with ISPConfig does not work properly on your system! The installation routine stops here!
Getting closer to a fix.

Thanks,
Spudchat

EDIT:

I remembered reading about this problem when others had it, so I searched the forum and found this thread:
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...ght=PHP+binary . I read it and checked my gcc version, as I am also using an x86 32bit processor. My gcc version is "gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)".

EDIT 2:

I thought I might try again and install it, but now when I try it seems that it would like me to perform an installation as my /root/ispconfig directory was removed .

Last edited by Spudchat; 15th March 2007 at 19:27.
Old 16th March 2007, 09:41

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

Your problem is a read-only /home file system.
Quote:
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/lib/libclamav.so.2.0.1': Read-only file system
You may have had an unexpected shutdown and have not run 'fsck' yet.

Most of the times a reboot will help. This will automatically do an fsck. Check afterwards with
Code:
mount
is /home is mounted as read/write. Normally only cdrom filesystems are read-only.
Old 16th March 2007, 17:15

I checked into that allready, but the permissions on the directory are:

drwxr-xr-x 4 admispconfig admispconfig 4096 2006-08-31 13:22 admispconfig

and all of the other files and directories inside have the same (or looser) permissions. "mount" returns the following line concerning my /home :

/dev/hdb2 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)

The machine has also been up for quite sometime,

11:16:05 up 35 days, 18:35, 1 user, load average: 1.04, 1.02, 1.00

Thanks,
Spudchat
Old 16th March 2007, 17:37

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

Have you executed the install / update as root?