Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 10th February 2007, 19:26

Default Virtual Hosting with Postfix DNS Question

I have set up a mail server using the tutorial, "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV)." The setup actually works wonderfully, except for one thing:

When sending mail to an AOL or Gmail account, using an address from any domain except the "main" server domain causes the mail to get sent to the "Spam" folder.

For instance, I have the email address "rick@maindomain.com." The server name is "server1.maindomain.com" and there is a CNAME entry in the DNS for "server1.maindomain.com," so AOL and Gmail don't have any issues when they see in the header:

Received: from server1.maindomain.com (XX-XX-X-XX.yyy.yyy.net [XX.XXX.X.XX]) by rly-xl05.mx.aol.com (v114_r3.2) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINXL51-5d345ce069835c; Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:53:30 -0500

But if I send from any other domain on the server (i.e. "rick@otherdomain.com") the messages go to the "Spam" folder, presumably because that CNAME entry doesn't exist in the DNS.

How can I configure the other domains on the server (DNS config?) so that these messages don't end up in spam?

Thanks for the help,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Old 11th February 2007, 14:30
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Please check if the DNS records for the other domains are correct:
Code:
dig otherdomain.com
Also make sure your server isn't blacklisted: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: