Old 6th February 2007, 02:16

Question Can't stop sendmail

I am a Linux noob and have installed Fedora Core 6 and am having a problem with my LAMP install.

When trying to install Postfix, one of the steps is to stop sendmail and this fails ...
/etc/init.d/sendmail stop failed

From what I have seen elswhere online, I believe this is a necessary step and the probable reason why the later step - telnet localhost 25 - is refused (correct me if I am wrong please)

How do I stop sendmail? Is there another command I can use?

Everything else is working fine with the LAMP except postfix. I have ispconfig up and running and it works fine except for the webmail - because of the postfix problem I am assuming.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 6th February 2007, 03:59

I have determined that the reason I can't stop sendmail is that it is already stopped - used the "service sendmail status" command to determine that.

I guess my problem lies elswhere...

Update - found the problem. It really is important to follow instructions after all

Last edited by doug; 6th February 2007 at 06:01.