Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th December 2007, 11:58

Default Questions and Problem when following Dapper Drake Perfect Setup

Hi there!

I've been following the perfect setup howto for ubuntu server 6.06 lts here to get a server with ispconfig and joomla running.

Edit: All this is happening in a VMWare VM on an XP host. I'm doing all this via putty from another XP box on the LAN.

I have a few questions:

(1)
I am running this server on my LAN, with the possibility of later making it accessible to the internet (via my router's DMZ or specific port forwarding). If I don't plan on using DynDNS or something comparable, how would i go about changing /etc/hosts?
Following the howto to the letter, I would get this:

Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.222   servebox.example.com  servebox

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
What purpose does the "servebox.example.com" have, is it even necessary? I don't plan on having this machine reachable via DNS, just IP.

According to the howto, both "hostname" and "hostname -f" should output "servebox.example.com". Is that really correct? "hostname" only outputs "servebox" for me.

(2)
I'm running into a problem after installing mysql according to the howto. It might very well be related to the question above. It all works according to plan until i set the root password with:

Code:
mysqladmin -u root password newpasswordhere
The next step

Code:
mysqladmin -h servebox.example.com -u root password newpasswordhere
gives the following error:

Code:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'servebox.example.com' failed
error: 'Host 'servebox.example.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
I'd like to proceed with the install, but i'm stuck here.

Any help is appreciated.

(3) Just thought of another question. Why do we want mysqld to listen on other interfaces than localhost? Anything that accesses the DB should be on the machine, anyway.

Last edited by FXT; 17th December 2007 at 12:32.
Sponsored Links