Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th July 2007, 10:53

Default External DNS request BIND

Hi

I'm reasonably new to DNS, I have used it before but only for small internal jobs at companies.

I've set up a DNS server as part of my web hosting machine.

All the DNS appears to work fine on the machine (my resolv.conf has the machine's IP at the top of the list).

Unfortunately wherever else I am (outside this machine) I cannot resolve the domain. The ns0 and ns1 records both point to the machine in question (different ips, same machine) for now.

EG:

From the machine if I do nslookup mydomain.com the IP address of the machine is returned. However if I do it from anywhere else in the world it returns a non-existent domain error (see below).

Server: cache1.ntli.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

*** cache1.ntli.net can't find mydomain.com: Non-existent host/domain

If I add the server to the top of the list on remote machine's resolv.conf it returns the following error:

*** Can't find server name for address <MACHINES_IP>: No response from server
Server: cache1.ntli.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

*** cache1.ntli.net can't find mydomain.com: Non-existent host/domain

So it looks to me as if BIND is blocking external requests in some way or there is something else preventing external requests. I have tried telneting to port 53 on the machine (from outside) and a connection is established.

If any one knows what could be causing this I would appreciate the help!!

Thanks
James
Sponsored Links