Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th June 2007, 04:42

Default Reverse DNS Problem

Several months ago I followed the Perfect Setup for Ubuntu 6.06 and installed ISPConfig. Everything was working wonderfully until a few days ago when the majority of the email sent from my server started being bounced back due to reverse DNS lookups failing. I confirmed with www.dnsreports.com that the reverse DNS does in fact fail.

I contacted my ISP about adding reverse DNS for my net block. I currently have a /29 IP block with 5 IPs. 2 of these IPs host my local nameservers through ISPConfig, however one is a dummy. My ISP said they are adding my reverse DNS entries today, but I need to make sure my zone files are configured properly. According to them, the zone reference in /etc/bin/named.conf should look like:

zone "xxx-29.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa"

However my ISPConfig-generated /etc/bind/named.conf reverse DNS entry looks like:

zone "xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "pri.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa";
};

EG it stops with the class C address, and does not directly reference the start IP of my /29 block. Within the pri.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa file, everything has been generated by ISPConfig, and it looks correct. Each PTR entry is preceded by the final octet of data that defines the IP address of the DNS server.

My question is... is my ISP correct about the naming convention for the zone entry in named.conf? I would rather not change it, as I have a feeling when ISPConfig restarts it will create the entry as it sees fit.

Thank you in advance for any advice/pointers.
Sponsored Links