Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th April 2007, 23:10

Default Newbie Questions on ISPConfig - Please Shed Some Light

i am quite confused on how to implement this. a friend of mine has one physical server. he had already registered two domain names for example, domainone.com and domaintwo.com. He is planning to host more domains in the near future. He also needs to host mailboxes for all the different domains.

after some readings on ispconfig, i think it is quite a solution but to implement it, i am totally a noob. i only have experience in a simple web server setup - one domain and one ip address, that's it.

my questions:
1- will ispconfig satisfy the needs above?
2- my friend has only one static ip, can the above be implemented? any special requirements?
3- will this work behind a router / firewall so that the physical server can have an internal ip.
4- any other network requirements for ispconfig (ip's, dns or others?)

questions for dynamic ip
1- will this work in a testing environment - a server with internal ip (192.169.1.x) behind a router with dynamic ip address?

that is all that i can think now. i've tried to search the forum, has some answers but i insist to ask. sorry for the trouble caused.

any pointers to good links in this forum that has the same cases as mine are most welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th April 2007, 23:22
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,205 Times in 4,081 Posts

1) Yes.
2) Yes. No special requirements except that the IP should be static. You may have as many websites / domains as you like with one IP, but only one of the websites can be a SSL enabled site. That is a limitation of the SSL protocol.
3) Yes.
4) No.

A dynamic IP will be ok for testing, but you should have a free (sub) domain for testing form e.g. dyndns.

Quote:
any pointers to good links in this forum that has the same cases as mine are most welcomed.
Have a look at the documentation page on ispconfig.org. You will find there a list of perfect setup guides, if you follow one of these guides as close as possible, your setup will work out of the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
aidwiz (14th April 2007)
Old 14th April 2007, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
1) Yes.
2) Yes. No special requirements except that the IP should be static. You may have as many websites / domains as you like with one IP, but only one of the websites can be a SSL enabled site. That is a limitation of the SSL protocol.
3) Yes.
4) No.

A dynamic IP will be ok for testing, but you should have a free (sub) domain for testing form e.g. dyndns.

Have a look at the documentation page on ispconfig.org. You will find there a list of perfect setup guides, if you follow one of these guides as close as possible, your setup will work out of the box.
thanks! so if i want to test it with dynamic ip, the basic things that i need to is add two host / domain name in dyndns, correct? e.g test1.mine.nu + test1.homeip.net
Old 14th April 2007, 14:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,562 Posts

One hostname is sufficient. Just point it to your router's public IP address and forward all needed ports from your router to your ISPConfig server.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 14th April 2007, 15:25

if it is like that, can i / you have surf the sites using dyndns from the outside (Internet) for two different domains that i hosted e.g test1.homeip.net + test1.mine.nu.
Old 15th April 2007, 11:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidwiz
if it is like that, can i / you have surf the sites using dyndns from the outside (Internet) for two different domains that i hosted e.g test1.homeip.net + test1.mine.nu.
In that case you need two domains, of course.
I was thinking of the domain to reach your ISPConfig control panel.

Old 16th April 2007, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
In that case you need two domains, of course.
I was thinking of the domain to reach your ISPConfig control panel.
thanks falko. the domain that i use to reach my ispconfig control panel is the hostname of my machine e.g http://testing.aidwiz.net:81

so to host more than 1 domain for example, i need to register e.g in dyndns two domains right
1- test1.homeip.net
2- test2.mine.nu

is that right?
Old 17th April 2007, 11:33
Super Moderator

Quote:
is that right?
Yes, that's right.

Old 18th April 2007, 11:21

i've successfully installed ispconfig and now doing the configs.
registered two dummy domains with dyndns
1- test1.mine.nu - OK
2- test2.mine.nu - OK

allow and get public dynamic IP of router - OK
point router firewall to basic port (dns, web server) - OK

follow page 1 of this manual
http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_...domain_schlund - OK

can't follow page 2 of this manual - no configurable settings at dyndns - NOT OK

QUESTIONS
1- can i just skip creating nameservers for those 2 domains and just ns1.dyndns.com and ns2.dyndns.com instead?
2- my host from outside will look like this right e.g www.test1.shacknet.nu and www.test2.mine.nu right, because of dyndns?
Old 19th April 2007, 13:44
Super Moderator

Quote:
1- can i just skip creating nameservers for those 2 domains and just ns1.dyndns.com and ns2.dyndns.com instead?
Your DynDNS domains are handled by the DynDNS name servers automatically, so you don't have to worry about DNS at all (as long as your router updates the records). So you don't have to configure your own name servers.

Quote:
2- my host from outside will look like this right e.g www.test1.shacknet.nu and www.test2.mine.nu right, because of dyndns?
No, it will be without www because you registered test1.mine.nu and test2.mine.nu, not www.test1.mine.nu / www.test2.mine.nu. This is a difference.