Old 2nd October 2006, 13:18

Default wrt54g set up as hotspot

hi guys,

I just tried this howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/wifi_hotspot_setup

I is all setup just fine but I encounter some understanding problems when it comes about their terms....

I'LL just paste another post from another forum here instead of typing it all over again.

Quote:
hi guys,

I have 2 scenarios:

a) trying to set up a hotspot so ppl can surf for free or for after paying
b) trying to let ppl who drop by my place get online

I guess for the first scenario the solution to use a wrt54g with this install is ok. still one question: the traffic would all be unencrypted, isn't it? is the re a possibility to have a hotspot with a radius server as authentification BUT WITH encrypted traffic? or is this a contradiction in itself?

For the second solution: before stumbling upon this solution I had WPA2 encryption and when friends dropped by I used to give them the WPA2 key but that means I would have to change that as soon as I do not want someone to be able to log in no more, so I was looking for another solution, but using this solution the traffic would be unencrypted.... what else can I do? I saw that in the wireless security tab tehre are more choices, like WPA2+radius? how would that work and would that be a solution? I guess it would mean an authentification by WPA2 so Istill would have to give my key but if I just deactivated the (radius) user/account for those visiting ppl that would shut them out?

ok now to the more technical questions:

I have successfully setup freeradius and phpmypreapaid and dialupadmin on my debian server on the net but have problems grasping the concept of how they work together:

in phpmyprepaid there are locations to which I can add an AP. for the AP I have to give DNS NAME IP and suer/password => DNS NAME is clear, but what IP is wanted? the internal IP of the AP? What user/password is wanted here? besides what is the domain field when entering a new location?

talking about dialupadmin: what can I configure here: RADIUS Clients ? Is it that a Radius client = AP ? if you click on help in dialupadmin it gives y link to this page: http://kstadler.ch/index.php?page=dialup where it says one can setup a NAS very simple by just a few lines, which indeed shows up if you click in dialuppadmin on online users, please chekc that tutorial out too. ther eis a naslist file where I can enter the details mentioned in that tutorial. also there is a NAS table in the config which seems to be the same as in the phpmyprepaid config. what does the field general_domain do? the tutorial says to use %(general_domain) as a variable but it does not really work...

what about freeradius: there is a client.conf where I can setup clients.... are clients= NAS = AP ?

as you can see I am quite onfused, I think I grasped what I can do with these tools but I do not see how they play togetehr and which name means what. the setup was quite easy following the tutorial here and the one for dialupadmin I gave above. so please if someone can shed some light on this please do so.... I know one does not have to use all features I just want to know all about these tools before starting to use them Smile

regards
tenaka
please anyone can you help me out? it seems others are successfully using these tools :-(
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

What exactly is your problem?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:05

the problem is this: all those tools use a common database.

freeradius tels me to configure clients, I understood it is talking about setting up one client=Hotspot I have, so I start with one in the /etc/freeradius/clients.conf

Quote:
client XXX.dyndns.org {
secret = XXXX
shortname = bloc21a
nastype = other
}
then I go on and phpmyprepaid tells me about setting up locations which seems to be only informative:

I understood I setup a location, like this:

Quote:
Domain : what do I input here?
State : just_some_info
City : just_some_info
so noiw to this location, i.e. my city I add an AP:

Quote:
dns Name: what_dns_name?
IP Address: can_I_give_hostname?
User Name: what_username?
Password: what_password?
the I get to the config of dialupadmin, the tutorial says to add a NAS (=AP ???) in the naslist.conf, I did it like this:

Quote:
nas1_name: just_a_name_I_guess
nas1_model: WRT54G
nas1_ip: what_IP?
nas1_portnum: whats_this?
nas1_community: wqhat_info_goes_in_here?
so thats basically my problem, why do I enter all that info in 3 different places? do I have to? how does it work together?

have I made myself more clear by now?
Old 4th December 2006, 17:31

The same Problem has YAEM to.

Everything works well. But without any result. The secrets and key are the same, the database is the same, butt wenn i log in nothing happens.

"Sorry, try again" ;-)

Dialupadmins testpage has no result, but freeradius-deamon schould be running.

thanks for help yaem
Old 13th March 2007, 16:36

The same pb and questions as Tenaka.
S.O have the responses?
Excuse my english..