Old 27th February 2007, 22:02

Default Domain dns help needed

I’ll start from beginning. Followed The Perfect Set-up – SUSE 10.2 and everything when ok. Install afterwards ISPConfig also no problem at all.

Have been looking all over the net, this forum and many more. Looked at some tutorials, at name server thing with Godaddy and other but still I’m not getting anywhere. I can’t get my head around it. Here we go:

Let’s say I own domain www.mydomain.com

Question 1: How do I set-up “ns1.mydomain.com”? Is this mean by going to “Yast” =>Network Services=>Dns and Hostname and adding an ns1 as a hostname and mydomain.com as domain name? Is that all? Or by adding staff somewhere else?

Question 2: Can I run a name server “ns1.mydomain.com” at the same machine where I got “The Perfect Set-up SUSE 10.2 + ISPConfig” on one IP address?

Question 3: Can I add ns1.mydomain.com (which is mentioned in question 1) and ns1.anyfreedns.com (which is any free dns server on the net) to site where I bought my domain?

Question 4: After all this above do I add “www.mydomain.com” (whic is mentioned at the begining) as I would any other domain in ISPConfig's ISP Manager,and DNS Manager as a master dns?

Can I have some understandable answers with not too much technicality, please?
Thanks for your help and understanding!
Sponsored Links
Old 28th February 2007, 20:13
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaradic
Question 1: How do I set-up “ns1.mydomain.com”? Is this mean by going to “Yast” =>Network Services=>Dns and Hostname and adding an ns1 as a hostname and mydomain.com as domain name? Is that all? Or by adding staff somewhere else?
Go to the authoritative name server of mydomain.com (you can find out by running
Code:
dig ns mydomain.com
) and create an A record for ns1 there.

Quote:
Question 2: Can I run a name server “ns1.mydomain.com” at the same machine where I got “The Perfect Set-up SUSE 10.2 + ISPConfig” on one IP address?
Yes.

Quote:
Question 3: Can I add ns1.mydomain.com (which is mentioned in question 1) and ns1.anyfreedns.com (which is any free dns server on the net) to site where I bought my domain?
Yes.

Quote:
Question 4: After all this above do I add “www.mydomain.com” (whic is mentioned at the begining) as I would any other domain in ISPConfig's ISP Manager,and DNS Manager as a master dns?
For any domain different from mydomain.com the answer is yes. If you want to host DNS records for mydomain.com on ns1.mydomain.com, you need a glue record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_...d_glue_records

Also take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=4

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 28th February 2007, 20:19

Thanks Falco it looks clear now