Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th January 2007, 23:24

Default Transferring Hard Drive to new System

Can I just move the hard drive to another box? If so, how? beside the obvious... unplug, remove, install, plug in!

I have SuSe 10.1 with ISPConfig loaded on a SATA drive. I tried it just to see if it would work and it would not... the only error I could see in the checks was that ispconfig.http could not resolve the FQDN then it would just go to text screen log in.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th January 2007, 20:21
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

If the new system has the same IP address as the old one and you plug in the HDD on the same controller, then there should be no problem.
If the IP address has changed, take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 28th January 2007, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
If the new system has the same IP address as the old one and you plug in the HDD on the same controller, then there should be no problem.
If the IP address has changed, take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760
Controller being the same as network/router etc... ? The IP crossed my mind this morning and I was going to try that again today. I did not change the internal IP address before I tried it yesterday. e.g. the HDD was on 192.168.2.5 and the machine I put it in and tried was 192.168.2.2.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I was successful. :-)

Well... that didn't work! I went in and changed the IP of the box I am wanting to use to what is listed for ISPConfig and the sites. Restarted then shut it down. Disconnected the current drive which is WinXP and placed in the Linux drive the restarted again. Still taking me to a text login screen. Just out of curiosity could it be that it is actually working but no in GUI mode!? huh... let me test that... Wish I would think of these things before I restore back to the old box!

No... it just is not booting up to the Linux HDD for some reason. Interesting because the mobo's are the same but there is a huge difference in cpu and memory.

Last edited by latcarf; 28th January 2007 at 22:50.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by latcarf
Controller being the same as network/router etc... ?
No, I mean the controller where you plug in the HDD on the new system. For example, if your HDD was /dev/hda on the old system, and you use the wrong controller on the new system, it might be recognized as /dev/hdc there instead of /dev/hda.

Old 29th January 2007, 14:46

Quote:
No, I mean the controller where you plug in the HDD on the new system. For example, if your HDD was /dev/hda on the old system, and you use the wrong controller on the new system, it might be recognized as /dev/hdc there instead of /dev/hda.
Got it... how would I find that out? The new system has never had a Linux designation such as /hda or /hdc and the mother boards are both the same and I am even using the same Sata connector on the board.

When I do try to boot to the Linux drive in the new system it goes to a text login (system login screen. I can login as root from there, is there a way I can check or change it from there? I will start researching Linux commands also and see what I can dig up... and check the BIOs and see what I can do from there.

Final option is to do a clean install but how difficult is it to transfer all the ISPConfig data, domains, sites, users over to the new drive? Would it be as easy as copying specific folders over?
Old 30th January 2007, 11:44
Super Moderator

Quote:
I can login as root from there, is there a way I can check or change it from there?
Run
Code:
fdisk -l
or
Code:
df -h
Quote:
Final option is to do a clean install but how difficult is it to transfer all the ISPConfig data, domains, sites, users over to the new drive? Would it be as easy as copying specific folders over?
Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...ving+ispconfig

Old 1st February 2007, 15:55

okay... I ran df -h on the drive in the old system, then in the new system. Both results were the same;

/dev/sda3
udev
/dev/sda1

I can't help but feel it is a hardware issue between the 2 boxes, maybe graphics card or something. Seems to work fine in the new box it just boots to a text screen which might be okay if I was a linux command wizzard but I am a GUI baby.

I am probably going to do a fresh install since I do have a couple HDDs hanging around and follow the link you gave me for moving settings and such.

If I use opensuse 10.2 (current setup is on 10.1) do you think there will be any issues?
Old 2nd February 2007, 13:53
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I use opensuse 10.2 (current setup is on 10.1) do you think there will be any issues?
Some people reported that PHP files weren't shown correctly by Apache on OpenSuSE 10.2, although it worked for me.

Old 2nd February 2007, 23:25

thanks... I had a successful install of 10.2 and ISPConfig so now I am off to go back to the link you gave me for moving over stuff.
Old 3rd February 2007, 18:12

Quote:
Some people reported that PHP files weren't shown correctly by Apache on OpenSuSE 10.2, although it worked for me.
I do seem to have this problem now... I got everything transferred over and running off the new server but when I go to any of the pages I host that have links to PHP pages (guestbook, gallery) and click on the link it asks if I want to "Open with; or save to disk".

I do recall there was a problem with one module failing to load during installation. However, it appered to be the same problem as with previous suse versions, a "duplicate" rpm, and I clicked "Ignore" and proceeded with the download and install.

I did some research and could find no issues regarding 10.2/Apache2/PHP. I did for Enterprise but it is using Apache?Tomcat. It mentions installing another program... see this PHP .

I also double checked /etc/sysconfig/apache2 because during set-up we modify this adding "rewrite" and all seems to be well there.

Thoughts, suggestions... ?