Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd January 2007, 17:38

Question Syslog problem (I think)

Good day all,

I am running a virtual server with 3 domains. I noticed this problem after I installed mailgraph and pflogsumm, and I am not sure if the problem exisited prior to this or not.

When I ps-aux for syslog I see
syslog 11150 0.0 0.0 1768 708 ? Ss 06:25 0:00 /sbin/syslogd -u syslog -a /var/lib/named/dev/log

And while I see this as running, every hour on the hour (or 1 sec past) I stop seeing information being posted to the logs and I need to issue the commands /etc/init.d/sysklod stop then /sbin/syslogd -u syslog -a /var/lib/named/dev/log to restart the logging. If I don't issue the first command to stop the logging and try to start again with the second command I get an error tyhat logging is already running.

I have confirmed this by having two ssh sessions open , one where I tail -f /var/log/mail.log and the other where I issues the commands. As soon as I issue the second command, I see traffic through the log files again.

my crontab looks like this
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user command
17 * * * * root run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
47 6 * * 7 root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
52 6 1 * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
#
0 7 * * * root /usr/local/sbin/postfix_report.sh &> /dev/null

I don't see anything here that runs every hour on the hour. My /etc/cron.hourly directory is empty, but I do see items in the cron.log running every hour.

What more can I do to issolate this.

WaveQam
Sponsored Links