Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th October 2005, 00:53

Default Slightly Confused (DNS & Server Help)

Hi, I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of hours now. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find any results by searching the forums.

Anyhow, I have everything setup. I installed Ubunutu, got ISPConfig running. I thought everything would be perfect, however, I must have skipped the whole "DNS education" part when I learned how to use the internet throughout my life, so far.

Is it possible to have ISPConfig be both the DNS and the webserver? It appears as though it is running as both, but I lack the understanding as to how to configure the domain to properly serve as both. I have a domain registered through GoDaddy, and I originally assigned the domain to that IP.

It's statically assigned using the DNS tool they offer. I just maid it @ and www = my servers IP. However, I can't see that as being correct. Or is it? If so, will my server be able to act as a nameserver for its own domain? Could I specifiy my own DNS instead of just pointing directly to the server IP within GoDaddy's DNS setup?

Or is that an illogical loop, and will only newly registered domains be able to use my nameserver? I'm completely confused, and in desperate need of help here. Also, this relates to the whole hostname/domainname issue. Currently I have my servers hostname setup as www.domain.com, which I assume is correct. Within the ISPConfig settings, I have two nameservers setup ns1.domain.com and ns2, both pointing to my server's IP. I have yet to actually setup a website yet, even though Apache is running correctly and such.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and hopefully this is the right forum
Sponsored Links