Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Kernel Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th October 2006, 02:42

Red face FC5: kern and nvidia mod - no longer playing nice

hi. i'm having an issue w/ my 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 kernel and nvidia geforce card.

there's a lot to the story, and it pains me so to be brief, but i'll do my best for the sake of humanity!

from start to finish, it's basically like this:
- fresh 120GB drive > install FC5 (5 CD iso set)
- using the Stanton-Finley.net guide, step by step, i follow the updates including the nvida module.
- YumEx updates the kernel (after i've installed the nvidia modue as above) from 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 to 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5

the system had been working fine all along. one bit of software, which i believe played a bit part in this tragedy, was one i enjoy for image sorting-- Picasa, a non-native linux app. i had an XP drive slaved from which i was grabbing a bunch of photos using Picasa-- the linux version (which i believe runs via Wine).

for some reason, i decided many days later that i wasn't sure if i had ever installed the nvidia module, by way of yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia, which i've learned from stanton-finley.net. so, as root, i did [ yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia ] (again? i'm not sure, but i think yes, this was in fact the second time, and recall-- post-kernel update).

an unusual dialogue appeared later during this desktop session, i'm pretty sure it was "Picasa", which requested i CHMOD 666 as ROOT two files, which i recall contained the name 'nvidia' themselves. the request was much like "cannot [ do something w/ Picasa ] because [some-file-name] is [ locked / unwritable / being uncooperative ]. please CHMOD 666 the files aBc-nvidia and nvidia-Xyz". so, i proceeded to CHMOD 666 as root.

it was not until i finally ended this desktop session and rebooted that i realized i would not be able to boot back into x-server w/ the exisiting configuration. grasping at straws, i decided to try the 'old' kernel which, due to the stanton-finley configuration, remained visible for a few seconds at the begining of the boot process.

booting into this older 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 kernel, the x-server came to life. however, it's not right:
Code:
[@localhost ~]$ locate /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/*/nvidia
[@localhost ~]$ locate /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/*/nvidia
/lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/extra/nvidia
/lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2187_FC5/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
i have experienced some 'instability' in the video (screen flicker, etc., depending upon what i'm doing w/ what video intensive stuff) and i just know it's not right.

what can i do to get back to the proper, up-to-date kernel matched w/ the proper nvidia module? (remember, although it's there, i can't boot into KDE or Gnome on 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5)
throughout my efforts to correct the problem, i recall doing the opposite of the nvida mod install [yum -y remove kmod-nvidia ]

what should be my first step to correcting this problem?

thanks !!

Last edited by jsabarese; 12th October 2006 at 02:44.
Sponsored Links