I realize BIND and DNS can be difficult, so I am asking the forum to help me out on this one...
I'm on Fedora Core 4 Linux
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Main IP, 18.104.22.168 is setup in ISPconfig and ifcfgeth0
2. This IP is a nameserver, with domain: www.mymaindomain.com
, for example I use ns1.mymaindomain.com for domain installation on this specific IP, which is the "admin" or root user.
3. Second IP, 22.214.171.124 is setup in ISPconfig and aliased as ifcfgeth0:0.
4. This IP is a nameserver, with domain: www.mymaindomain.com
(same domain as above), for example using ns2.mymaindomain.com.
5. All my other IPS, 126.96.36.199-15 have been added to ISPconfig and each one has an alias in ifcfg as ifcfgeth0:0, ifcfgeth0:1, :2 :3 ....etc
6. I can Ping each IP successfully, including the ones without nameservers.
7. I went to ISPConfig and made a few new resellers and clients. I then added the main reseller site as starting point, for example: Reseller 1 - Client Smith - Site: www.reseller1.com
. I then created several additional websites under this reseller and client. I assigned www.reseller1.com
domain and the other domains the same IP in ISPconfig.
8. Here is where I have lost my way: Now, I want to setup Reseller 1 with its own nameserver, ie. ns1.reseller1.com using the main reseller domain, www.reseller1.com
9. So, I went to the ISPconfig entry for www.reseller1.com
and added an "A" record for "ns1", keeping in mind that the main entry, "www" has already been added by ISPconfig.
10. Finally, I went to the DNS manager and assigned www.reseller1.com
two nameservers: ns1.reseller1.com , and ns2.mymaindomain.com - the second nameserver of the main "admin" domain on the server.
11. Then, I went to my registrar and for the domain www.reseller1.com
I added ns1.reseller1.com as the first nameserver with IP 188.8.131.52 and ns2.mymaindomain.com .
12. I repeated these steps for a few other resellers. Now BIND has crashed! When I attempt to reboot NAMED, I get the following error for almost all the domains and reseller main domains I installed:
Error in named configuration:
zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1997022700
zone 124.151.64.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 2006091302
zone 120.151.64.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 2006091301
zone 2.96.208.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 2006091302
zone mymaindomain.com/IN: loaded serial 2006081603
##...other reseller domains withsame result as my main domain...
##.. and then a long list of the following errors:
zone reseller1.com /IN: loading master file pri.reseller1.com : not a valid number
_default/reseller1.com/IN: not a valid number
zone reseller1site1.com /IN: loading master file pri.reseller1site1.com : not a valid number
_default/reseller1site1.com/IN: not a valid number
Any thoughts? I am completely baffled...
Is there a tutorial for setting up private nameservers for each reseller main domain, and then adding additional domains under the reseller with the reseller's private nameservers???
Thanks in advance for your help!