Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd September 2006, 23:17
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw
netstat -tap:
Code:
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      2002/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:32769                     *:*                         LISTEN      1670/rpc.statd
tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      2002/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      2093/mysqld
tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      2002/xinetd
Aren't you using Maildir? Then you should run Dovecot instead of your xinetd based POP3/IMAP daemon... Your current POP3/IMAP daemon uses mbox.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 4th September 2006, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Aren't you using Maildir? Then you should run Dovecot instead of your xinetd based POP3/IMAP daemon... Your current POP3/IMAP daemon uses mbox.
Hello Falko, and thanks to you for helping me (as well as the How To's and The Forum).

The error I got was *before* I switched over to Maildir. Why did I get that message before I switched over to Maildir format?

Your suggestion worked (surprise).

I've stopped xinetd and started dovecot (actually, I had to remove the 0.99 version and install the 1.0 version which allows for character translation with the 'auth_username_translation =' directive). I've been able to send email from behind the network, and I'll check for remote authentication as soon as I get to a remote machine.

I'll add more when I get the results.

~jjw
Old 4th September 2006, 02:02

Ouch. I got the message from my mail client that "Server Does Not Support Secure Authentication. This was from the LAN, and trying to use SSL & Seucre Authentication. Client is Thunderbird 1.0.2
Old 4th September 2006, 02:05

Ouch. I just tried using Thunderbird 1.0.2 and got the "Server Does Not Support Secure Authentication" message.

Here is what I get when I telnet localhost 25:

Code:
250-mail.wnetworks.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250 8BITMIME
Old 4th September 2006, 08:55

Well, I just realized that I didn't need the 'auth_username_translation =' directive, so I did a reinstall to get back to the 'perfect install', and utilizing Falko's suggestion to use Dovecot with Maildir.

I'm hanging on SMTP AUTH it seems.
Old 4th September 2006, 11:18
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,498 Times in 4,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw
Well, I just realized that I didn't need the 'auth_username_translation =' directive, so I did a reinstall to get back to the 'perfect install', and utilizing Falko's suggestion to use Dovecot with Maildir.

Please post the output of "netstat -tap" and check your postfix master.cf file that TLS is enabled.
Old 4th September 2006, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Please post the output of "netstat -tap" and check your postfix master.cf file that TLS is enabled.
Thank you Till. Here is the relevant output:

netstat -tap
Code:
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      4100/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:32769                     *:*                         LISTEN      1651/rpc.statd
tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      4100/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      5245/mysqld
tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      4100/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      4100/xinetd
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                    *:*                         LISTEN      1633/portmap
tcp        0      0 *:81                        *:*                         LISTEN      28766/ispconfig_htt
tcp        0      0 mail.wnetworks.net:domain   *:*                         LISTEN      28886/named
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomai:domain *:*                         LISTEN      28886/named
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:ipp   *:*                         LISTEN      1960/cupsd
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:5335  *:*                         LISTEN      1942/mDNSResponder
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:rndc  *:*                         LISTEN      28886/named
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      28861/master
tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      28789/httpd
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      28902/proftpd: (acc
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      2020/sshd
tcp        0      0 *:https                     *:*                         LISTEN      28789/httpd
# telnet localhost 25
Code:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.wnetworks.net ESMTP Postfix
ehlo localhost
250-mail.wnetworks.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250 8BITMIME
main.cf:
Code:
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix

command_directory = /usr/sbin

daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix

mail_owner = postfix

inet_interfaces = all

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
debug_peer_level = 2

debugger_command =
         PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix

mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix

setgid_group = postdrop

html_directory = no

manpage_directory = /usr/share/man

sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.2/samples

readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.2/README_FILES
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names
Why is it that I have to rebuild the certificates *after* the install process after a fresh os/ispcoinfig install? I always get the 8182 error (except one time).
Old 4th September 2006, 14:44

Here is the output from another machine:

$ telnet mail.wnetworks.net 25
Code:
Trying 192.168.0.10...
Connected to mail.wnetworks.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.wnetworks.net ESMTP Postfix
ehlo http.wnetworks.net
250-mail.wnetworks.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250 8BITMIME
Old 4th September 2006, 15:07
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw
Why is it that I have to rebuild the certificates *after* the install process after a fresh os/ispcoinfig install? I always get the 8182 error (except one time).
Because you enter invalid information when you create the certificates the first time. Accept the default values. The most common error is this: when you're asked for the "common name (e.g., your name)", this doesn't mean your personal name, but your domain name (e.g. example.com).

Quote:
Please add
Code:
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
to /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix. Then try to send a mail over that server with your email client (without SSL, but with "Server requires authentication." enabled).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 4th September 2006, 15:36

Thank you Falko.

Quote:
Because you enter invalid information when you create the certificates the first time. Accept the default values. The most common error is this: when you're asked for the "common name (e.g., your name)", this doesn't mean your personal name, but your domain name (e.g. example.com).
Ok, I thought I did it right. Anyway, I entered the same info the second time around.

Quote:
Please add
Code:
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
to /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix. Then try to send a mail over that server with your email client (without SSL, but with "Server requires authentication." enabled).
I did this. I then attempted to connect from my mail client. I just timed out. No messages anywhere. I then logged in from another machine on the command line port 110, and then I logged in as the user, but it didn't list any messages, even though I have another screen open that shows a file in /var/www/web1/user/web1_test4/Maildir/new. This seems odd indeed.