Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd September 2006, 11:03

Default Extreme n00b questions re: Ubuntu 6.06 Perfect Setup

First, hi all - my first post and finding this site a great resource so thanks

Also apologies if i should have kept this in a previous thread, but thought the nature of the questions warranted a new thread. Basically im an absolute n00b to working with linux and the reason i have followed the Ubuntu 6.06 Perfect guide is that i want to host all of my websites on my own server as its becoming expensive paying monthly set up fees at hosting companies!

So i have various questions about this and would REALLY appreciate some feedback (I have followed the guide right up to the ISPConfig bit so dont have any problems with the guide as such)

1) At the end of the guide it says to download ISPConfig but how do i do this from the command line? The only way i know is by using curl, but curl is not a known command. (I bet you're thinking im really dumb by now!)

2) Do i have to start any processes in order for my webserver to function or is all i have to do is simply turn it on?

3) Assume i have a website of mysite.com - what is the address(es) that i point the nameservers at so my webpage will point to my webserver?

4) How do i host multiple websites from my webserver, do i use different nameservers or have different directories?

I think thats all i need to know, im sure ill encounter some other problems along the way but im really appreciative of the help.

Cheers,

Pete
Sponsored Links