Old 19th February 2013, 14:08

Default Multiserver Setup Problem?

I am guessing you will all tell me I did something wrong but I thought I would relate this experience here anyway.

I added a second server (for a secondary dns) to the main server, followed the instructions, added the second server connections to mysql on the primary first etc etc. However while the ISPC interface showed the server nothing would work. Believing I did things wrong I actually tried similar steps a few times before I finally found what was going on. (ie: reinstalls)

Note: Both main server and this secondary are Debian 7 machines (wonder if this has something to do with it. ISPC version 3.4.0.6

During the second server setup where after adding the local database config and telling it to join a master, the entries then given for the master server mysql login seem to create something different. In my case it's creating 2 new user entries, one server name + one IP addy, to connect to the main database but using the user "ispcsrv2".

The entire problem was, when creating these extra 2 entries on the main server mysql during install it wasn't adding a password. (the user entries had no password) However in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php the multiserver mysql connection details do include a password (one of the installers making).

Obviously the solution was simple - alter the mysql user table on the master server and add that password to those entries - bang! It all works.

I still don't think I messed up following the guide or the howto.. although you all will most probably say I did.

Also, on another note, /etc/bind/slave directory created by ISPConfig on the secondary dns server has the wrong permissions for a secondary slave dns to work correctly. (user: bind can't write to it)

Then again these maybe just issues because of installation on a Debian 7.0 setup.
Sponsored Links
Old 19th February 2013, 17:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,609 Times in 4,420 Posts

The debian version should not matter for this. I did not had this problem yet during setup of a multiserver system and I did not hear yet about this issue, so maybe it was some kind of side affect of other programs running during setup or a similr not easy reproducable issue.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:30

By your reply I assume that the slave having 4 different mysql logins on the master is the correct procedure? Is it necessary foo the slave to have these 4 logins (2 root logins and 2 ispcsrv2 logins).

Also, these connections are using the public interfaces to connect to each other. If you also have private connections (either local network or vpn) is it possible to alter these connections to use the private links instead (change the hostname to the local hostname and local/vpn IP connection). All hostnames are in /etc/hosts.

I guess I am trying to find out a way to have a multiserver system work on a private connection for ispconfig while still displaying public names and connections in the panel.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:31
Super Moderator

Quote:
By your reply I assume that the slave having 4 different mysql logins on the master is the correct procedure? Is it necessary foo the slave to have these 4 logins (2 root logins and 2 ispcsrv2 logins).
A slave has 2 logins. One root login (which is used for the setup only and not by ispconfig itself) and one ispcsrv login. Both logins exist for the IP address of the slave and for the hostname of the slave.

Quote:
Also, these connections are using the public interfaces to connect to each other. If you also have private connections (either local network or vpn) is it possible to alter these connections to use the private links instead (change the hostname to the local hostname and local/vpn IP connection). All hostnames are in /etc/hosts.
This depends on the /etc/hosts settings of your server which were made bafore you installed ispconfig. If the settings in /etc/hosts use your private Ip, then the connection is doen over the private IP. If they use the public IP, then the connection will later use the public IP.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
This depends on the /etc/hosts settings of your server which were made bafore you installed ispconfig. If the settings in /etc/hosts use your private Ip, then the connection is doen over the private IP. If they use the public IP, then the connection will later use the public IP.
Yes, I understand this, but is it possible to change the connection mechanism by altering the user credentials in the master's mysql db and then also the config.inc.php for the slave (master login setup for multiserver).

Or will this break things?
Old 20th February 2013, 11:18
Super Moderator

Yes, you can change the values manually. Just ensure that the settings in ispconfig, /etc/hosts and mysql match.
Old 17th August 2013, 08:11

I came across this thread looking for pretty much the same things, registered just to put in my exp.

I too have a multi-server set up. One web/primary, some others, but 2 seperate DB servers. At first, I thought I was making DB's all day long, the panel stated that I was and accounted for them, but if I logged into my db servers and looked at what MYSQL had to offer, it had none of what I created. None of them had anything except for the default ISPConfig db's.

I took the steps from the first post of this thread, went to DB01 and looked at the config file, and added the ispcsrv3 user and its password (according to DB01's config) as the password on the master/panel's database. I created a new DB in via the panel, and opt'd to use the RESYNC button - all the databases I had tried to created were created with out issue on DB01. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm willing to bed this is the same for DB02.