Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 24th June 2013, 19:25

Unhappy can't send external emails and receive from external

hi all i'm new here i have a problem,i installed step by step with this tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3
and i can't receive or send emails in external like yahoo@mail->mymail@doumain.com and mymail@doumain.com->yahoo@mail

i attached a notepad file to see my log from ispconfig panel.
Attached Files
File Type: txt logmail.txt (14.0 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 25th June 2013, 17:25

I see you're not using a relay. Make sure you have a reverse DNS (PTR) record and an SPF record in place for the mail server. I had this same problem, but I could flush the mail queue every so often and a small handful of the emails would go out. Turns out most mailservers will "greylist" suspicious senders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Basically, the receiving server waits to see if you try again, and will allow the message through the second try (most spambots don't retry).

For receiving, have you forwarded all the necessary ports? Try to telnet port 25 or 465 or whichever you are using. Sometimes the ISP will block port 25 to reduce spam.

Last edited by mzandstra; 25th June 2013 at 17:28.