Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th June 2013, 05:50
HowtoForge Supporter

Default 1 modem 2 routers independent

Hi,
I recently got hacked (My fault had an old test user on my debian box with a poor password). Result was thousands of spam emails going out and my main IP x.x.x.147 getting blacklisted. (Problem fixed and other precautions put in place IP reputation getting better)

My General setup:

2 servers (Debian with ISPconfig 2). (x.x.x.145 , x.x.x.147)
1 modem (Comcast) with 5 static IP's. (set to bridge mode 4 ports on rear)
1 router (FVX538)
1 router (FVS336G) NEW not hooked up yet.

My goal:

Separate the 2 servers with the 2 different routers by static IP so each is independent. (Using same modem)

MODEM -------> FVX538 x.x.x.147 --- all traffic in and out on x.x.x.147
|
-----> FVS336G x.x.x.145 --- all traffic in and out on x.x.x.x145 - internal lan etc..

Currently the FVX538 handles all traffic via rules to send the correct domain to the correct internal IP website. (Problem - if one gets hacked both suffer (Blacklisted since all outbound goes through x.x.x.x.147)

I've tried to set the static ip (x.x.x.145) on the new router plugged into the modem, but I lose everything pointed to x.x.x.x145. (After removing all rules pointing to x.x.x.145 on FVX538)

I've read that this can be done do I need to flush DNS on both servers in order for traffic destined for x.x.x.x145 to find 145 ?

Anyone have 2 routers working independently on the same modem? Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links