Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th June 2013, 15:40
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
well sorta would be a pain, if I wanted to test all sites as I transfered..
Ye gods man, why would you NOT want to test each site to ensure everything works to spec... without errors... no 404's... no database errors... no library errors... no permissions errors...

Or, put it another way, I appreciate that moving sites/hosts/platforms happens within the industry, but why would you choose to potentially insult paying customers by moving their site and breaking it through insufficient testing?

Even if they're your own sites, come on, surely a bit of due diligence is required?
Sponsored Links
Old 6th June 2013, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
Ye gods man, why would you NOT want to test each site to ensure everything works to spec... without errors... no 404's... no database errors... no library errors... no permissions errors...

Or, put it another way, I appreciate that moving sites/hosts/platforms happens within the industry, but why would you choose to potentially insult paying customers by moving their site and breaking it through insufficient testing?

Even if they're your own sites, come on, surely a bit of due diligence is required?
I didnt say I wasnt going to check each site.... I said I didnt fancy making 200+ changes to my hosts file...as it turns out, it is a moot pont, as there is a facility to make aliases.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:20
HowtoForge Supporter

Sorry, just how long does it take to make an entry like

Code:
xx.xx.xx.xx www.site1.com www.site2.com www.site3.com www.site4.com... www.site200.com
etc, in a hosts file?

I am willing to bet you don't have 200 new dedicated ip addresses and that most of them will be pointing to same address or there will be very few addresses in total. Not exactly taxing!

I hope you don't come across hardcoded links in your sites - your aliases won't be useful then.

Good luck with your migration.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:33

Quote:
Sorry, just how long does it take to make an entry like

Code:
xx.xx.xx.xx www.site1.com www.site2.com www.site3.com www.site4.com... www.site200.com
etc, in a hosts file?

I am willing to bet you don't have 200 new dedicated ip addresses and that most of them will be pointing to same address or there will be very few addresses in total. Not exactly taxing!

I hope you don't come across hardcoded links in your sites - your aliases won't be useful then.

Good luck with your migration.
hmm, you really seem to be getting your knickers in a twist because I dont want to faff around with my host file.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:55
HowtoForge Supporter

Not really fella, I just feel sorry for your customers.
Old 6th June 2013, 22:36

Quote:
Not really fella, I just feel sorry for your customers.
wow... you really do have a bee in your bonnet, thats one helluva leap...looking for an alternative to editing hosts file = bad customer service