I would like to know what to put for the MX records of client sites I host.
server.com - 18.104.22.168 - This is the address and IP of the physical hardware. It runs the mail server, mail.server.com
client.com - This is the domain name of the client website.
I have a few choices as I see it.
1. Just set the MX record to mail.server.com for every client.
2. Set the MX record to mail.client.com and have an A record pointing mail.client.com -> 22.214.171.124
3. Set the MX record to mail.client.com and have an CNAME record pointing mail.client.com -> mail.server.com
I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do is from:
1. A maintenance point of view (likely to move servers in the future)
2. Receiving servers point of view (are any of the options less likely to get email from email@example.com
bounced / help with reverse DNS lookups)
Thanks in advance.