I would like to know what to put for the MX records of client sites I host.
server.com - 184.108.40.206 - This is the address and IP of the physical hardware. It runs the mail server, mail.server.com
client.com - This is the domain name of the client website.
I have a few choices as I see it.
1. Just set the MX record to mail.server.com for every client.
2. Set the MX record to mail.client.com and have an A record pointing mail.client.com -> 220.127.116.11
3. Set the MX record to mail.client.com and have an CNAME record pointing mail.client.com -> mail.server.com
I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do is from:
1. A maintenance point of view (likely to move servers in the future)
2. Receiving servers point of view (are any of the options less likely to get email from firstname.lastname@example.org
bounced / help with reverse DNS lookups)
Thanks in advance.