Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th March 2013, 20:55
HowtoForge Supporter

Default check your dns and any firewalling?

Cannot offer an exact fix, just what I came across...

I just upgraded a few versions on CentOS hardware that did not have the APS functionality in and on one machine got a similar error to you.

I did 3 fresh installs and it all works first time out of the box. Other glitches I came across have nothing to do with APS installer.

On my Centos 6.4 x86_64 architecture it turns out that the machine that was failing did not have proper dns resolution. This was traced to an update of the bind package that inserts a line into /etc/named.conf looking for a non-existent file (/etc/named.conf.local). So named refused to start. On clicking "update package list" the machine had no dns and therefore couldnt grab the list.

Once resolved ("touch /etc/named.conf.local" and "service named restart") it worked. This is a distro problem and NOT an ispconfig problem.
Not saying thats your issue, just describing what happened my end.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th March 2013, 23:27
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
Cannot offer an exact fix, just what I came across...

I just upgraded a few versions on CentOS hardware that did not have the APS functionality in and on one machine got a similar error to you.

I did 3 fresh installs and it all works first time out of the box. Other glitches I came across have nothing to do with APS installer.

On my Centos 6.4 x86_64 architecture it turns out that the machine that was failing did not have proper dns resolution. This was traced to an update of the bind package that inserts a line into /etc/named.conf looking for a non-existent file (/etc/named.conf.local). So named refused to start. On clicking "update package list" the machine had no dns and therefore couldnt grab the list.

Once resolved ("touch /etc/named.conf.local" and "service named restart") it worked. This is a distro problem and NOT an ispconfig problem.
Not saying thats your issue, just describing what happened my end.
Thank you for confirming that you had 3 successful installs where the APS Installer works fine. It appears that I am the only one having this issue. Not on 1, but all 3 installations. I still don't know why my APS Installer doesn't work.

I checked my /etc/named.conf.local file and restarted named. DNS appears to be working fine.

Everything else appears to be working fine. Any more help is appreciated. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:37
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
It appears that I am the only one having this issue. Not on 1, but all 3 installations.
Are all of your servers using identical configurations? I'm referring to distribution and packages.
Old 4th April 2013, 07:44
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpo View Post
Are all of your servers using identical configurations? I'm referring to distribution and packages.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I am still trying to figure this out. Sorry for not being clear about the configurations. To make it very clear, here it is again.

I have 3 separate computers that are all independent single dedicated servers. I installed CentOS 6.4 on each one of them, following the guide located here www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-6.4-x86_64-apache2-dovecot-ispconfig-3, exactly as it is written. All three computers have the EXACT same configuration obviously, since I followed the EXACT same instructions for each.

Everything seems to work fine on all of them, except the APS Installer. I realized that there was a chance, small but still a chance, that I didn't follow the guide correctly. So, I decided to wipe all three computers clean. Then, I meticulously followed the instructions again setting each of the three computers up again from scratch. Then, I doubled checked my history and compared every single line in history to the lines in the guide to make sure that every line is exactly as it is written in the tutorial.

After I was all done, I tried the update packagelist button for the APS Installer and it still gives me the same error on all 3 servers.

Error
No packages to read in

Then, I go to the Monitor tab in ISPConfig and show the system log and it shows this error:

2013-04-04 01:33 Error [INTERFACE]: APS crawler: No packages to read in
2013-04-04 01:33 Error [INTERFACE]: APS crawler: String could not be parsed as XML

That's 6 setups, and all 6 have the exact same problem.
I then went to the online demo of ISPConfig at http://demo3.ispconfig.org/ for fun just to look and see how the APS Installer works in action. The demo version gives the similar error that I am having.

Error
String could not be parsed as XML

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old 4th April 2013, 10:41
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,396 Times in 4,240 Posts

Quote:
I then went to the online demo of ISPConfig at http://demo3.ispconfig.org/ for fun just to look and see how the APS Installer works in action. The demo version gives the similar error that I am having.
The demo is not a ispconfig installation, so downloading any packages can not work of course as we disabled that. The demo is a modified version of the interface pages to give a impression how ispconfig lookslike when it is installed. It does not have a server part nor does it contain all scripts

I installed the latest ispconfig version on centos 6.3 and the aps installer works flawlessly. I used the vmware download of the perfect setup for this test, so it is a exact copy of the perfect setup guide without any modifications except of updating ispconfig to 3.0.5.2 first.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:56
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
The demo is not a ispconfig installation, so downloading any packages can not work of course as we disabled that. The demo is a modified version of the interface pages to give a impression how ispconfig lookslike when it is installed. It does not have a server part nor does it contain all scripts

I installed the latest ispconfig version on centos 6.3 and the aps installer works flawlessly. I used the vmware download of the perfect setup for this test, so it is a exact copy of the perfect setup guide without any modifications except of updating ispconfig to 3.0.5.2 first.
Thank you till.

The reason that i referred to the online demo is because the error was similar to mine.

Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue? I thank you for any suggestions.

I've tried enabling debug mode in the control panel and clicking the update packagelist button again, but there is nothing different in the log.

I have however noticed another error that occurs occasionally instead of the other error. I've clicked the button a hundred times now. Every once in a while i see this error:

2013-04-03 14:34 Error [INTERFACE]: APS crawler: No packages to read in
2013-04-03 14:34 Error [INTERFACE]: APS crawler: Unable to fetch vendors. Aborting

Thanks again
Old 4th April 2013, 11:00
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,396 Times in 4,240 Posts

Do you use firewall which may block connections to apsstandard.org and is the php-curl module installed?
Old 4th April 2013, 11:43
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Do you use firewall which may block connections to apsstandard.org and is the php-curl module installed?
Installed Packages
curl.x86_64 7.19.7-35.el6 @anaconda-CentOS-201303020151.x86_64/6.4
libcurl.x86_64 7.19.7-35.el6 @anaconda-CentOS-201303020151.x86_64/6.4
libcurl-devel.x86_64 7.19.7-35.el6 @base

From phpinfo():
cURL support enabled
cURL Information 7.19.7
Age 3
Features
AsynchDNS No
Debug No
GSS-Negotiate Yes
IDN Yes
IPv6 Yes
Largefile Yes
NTLM Yes
SPNEGO No
SSL Yes
SSPI No
krb4 No
libz Yes
CharConv No
Protocols tftp, ftp, telnet, dict, ldap, ldaps, http, file, https, ftps, scp, sftp
Host x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
SSL Version NSS/3.13.6.0
ZLib Version 1.2.3
libSSH Version libssh2/1.4.2

From the command line works fine:
[root@pluto ~]# curl http://apsstandard.org

This does not work:
[root@pluto ~]# curl https://apsstandard.org
curl: (35) SSL connect error

Still, looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:50
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
I thought that I should give this idea a go.

First, I am wondering why you picked CentOS6.3 instead of the CentOS6.4 as described in this thread.

Second, I am wondering if you wouldn't mind updating the instructions for importing VMware images into the free player. As it currently stands the instructions found here http://www.howtoforge.com/import_vmware_images are worthless. The links don't work that are supposed to point to the proper downloads. Then, when you find the proper download, you can't follow the instructions, because the the player doesn't look anythng like the player described in the instructions. Then, when you install the player, it asks you questions that are not covered in the instructions.

Third, the instructions say to open the .vmx file into your player. I noticed that some of your VMware images available for download, don't have a .vmx file in the zipped download. For example, the CentOS 6.4 Perfect Server Setup that I am having problems with, is one of the downloads that doesn't have a .vmx file in it. Exactly how do you load one of these images into the VMware player please?

Fourth, once you do find a download that does have a .vmx file in it, how do you log in as the root user? The tutorial doesn't give the root password, nor does it give a pasword on the images downloads page.

Thanks.
Old 6th April 2013, 15:16
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
Fourth, once you do find a download that does have a .vmx file in it, how do you log in as the root user? The tutorial doesn't give the root password, nor does it give a pasword on the images downloads page.

Thanks.
I found the password on this page http://www.howtoforge.com/import_vmware_images. That answers that question. I still need help with the other questions.