Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th March 2013, 21:26
HowtoForge Supporter

Post Stupid mistake by LinuxUser Wannabe -> The Perfekt Server - ISPConfig - Ubuntu 10.04

*** NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE ***

Dear Falko & HowToForge Staff and members...

First of all, thanks for a great tutorial. I feel almost capable using this tutorial

1. I am following your tutorial The Perfekt Server - ISPConfig 2 - Ubuntu 10.04 to make a webserver for my projekt on UNI in Denmark, my personal website and for testing HTML stuff. This is all good, but, having reached chapter 16 I just discovered that I made a stupid mistake! In the tutorial we are told that regarding IPnumber, servername etc. we will have to replace it using our own setup - and that this servername is what you used your system: server1.example.com. I replaced the IPnumber with my machine IP, But I only corrected the servername not the domain, thinking that mayby this was done later on. But having reached chapter 16 I now know better! (sample: server1.exaple.com - my replacement: webserver1.exaple.com) My server is called, as you see webserver1 to be used with mydomain.tld and therefore I am announcing myself as the sucker of the year. But please help me.
I have been going trough he toturial from the beginning and found that correcting (chapter 7) /etc/host with both my servername and mydomain.dk will correct it here. To restart with the right information is this ok?
echo webserver1.mydomain.dk > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname restart

then
hostname
hostname -f

The next place I found the error is in chapter: 15 Postfix With SMTP-AUTH And TLS. Will it be necessary to do the whole chapter again? And if, what is the rigt place to be located in the prompt. Right now I am root@webserver1:/etc/postfix/ssl# - does it matter at all when we are using the commands that we do?

2. Another thing I was trying hard get through was also in chapter 15. (Afterwards we create the certificates for TLS
mkdir /etc/postfix/ssl
cd /etc/postfix/ssl/
openssl genrsa -des3 -rand /etc/hosts -out smtpd.key 1024

After the last line I was asked to: "enter pass phrase for smtpd.key" I did not known if this was another user/password situation like with MySQL - so I looked for Info onLine to find some answers, and this is where I found the best answer. If it is the right answer I am not certain about.: http://www.wellcrafted.de/wiki/rootserver/mail
Regarding some of the question you are asked I was very confused - this because it is not obvious to beginners what to enter. According to the website mentioned above this is where you enter information regarding your smtp server and a postmaster@mydomain.tld:
# Common Name (eg, YOUR name) []: <-- here you enter the DNS name of the SMTP server
# Email Address []: <-- typically something like postmaster@yourdomain.tld

Is this Infomation needed at all? Is it not possible to edit it later on via the controlpanel ISP?

Thank you for listening to me - I am looking so much forward to your response
PS. Thanks for making it possible for guys like me to have a chance building a real webserver...

Sincerely Yours
DanHansen@Denmark

Last edited by danhansen@denmark; 17th March 2013 at 01:55. Reason: Changing to ISPConfig3 - Choosed ISPConfig2 to be sure it would run on my system but I could not find manual for installation
Sponsored Links