Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th March 2013, 01:54

Default ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04 LTS

I'd like to know what people think of using 12.10 or 12.04 LTS as the base for a perfect server install. I've in the last few days done a half dozen various installs with opensuse and now ubuntu.

ISP config didn't work out of the box with a 'perfect server' install using opensuse. So now instead of trying to figure out why I'm moving on to using ubuntu.

I'm going to drop this box off at a clients site and it'll run 2 different domains. Both web and mail based.

I like the long term support included with 12.04 LTS but want some experienced thoughts on which would be better 12.10 or 12.04. Issues with either, etc?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 15th March 2013, 03:02

I am currently using Ubuntu 12.10 on 2 servers, which seems to be stable. I had a few little problems with bind stopping for no reason on one server, and a couple of other little weird problems, but cant remember exactly what they were. Reinstalled and it seemed to have fixed them.

I also have servers running RHEL/Centos 6.3 and i prefer this to ubuntu. Plus the added benefit of being able to do an install via VNC..
Old 16th March 2013, 16:02

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a single server setup. Installation went smooth. Change from Squirrelmail to roundcube, again no problems.

Might be worth holding out for 13.04 LTS and doing a comparison of the 2 different LTS versions.

Seg
Old 16th March 2013, 17:37

Send a message via Skype™ to Quijote Shin

i prefer to work with a LTS version rather than a normal, although you can install everything in a normal, but

1 . LTS is oriented to host hight risk processes and is optimized to provide more security
2 LTS guarantees that until 2017 (server version) engineers will work to keep the system at the forefront
3 i think its a verry clean version of ubuntu.

We say thanks to all our magical monkeys server-side, who makes this a reality.
oriongames.cl <<---- gamer, geek
orionhosts.cl <<---- geek
orionholding.cl <<--- [??]
All friends with nature, animal and human
The Following User Says Thank You to Quijote Shin For This Useful Post:
ajanssswift8594 (21st March 2013)