Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th February 2013, 18:14

Default ISPCONFIG3 with 2 NICS (one WAN, one LAN) DNS problems.

Hello,

I recently setup a fresh install of ISPCONFIG3 with 2 NIC's. One NIC has the WAN IP and the other is a LAN IP that I planned to use for faster throughput to copy files back and forth. The problem is that after installing all the files ISPCONFIG/centOS 6.3 wanted to use the non-broadcast IP's to resolve DNS etc.

I have removed the LAN IP from /etc/hosts.conf and only have the WAN IP there as per ISPCONFIG3 install docs but it keeps overwriting with the LAN IP first (as the first nameserver) on reboot.

/etc/named.conf
I also edited this file and changed all the "any" to the actual WAN IP for the listen ports & allow query.

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
MY.WAN.IP.ADDRESS ns1.mydomain.com ns1
::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

dig @ns1.mywan.com
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.mydomain.com': not found

nslookup mydomain.com
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 71.243.0.12, trying next server (MY providers DNS1)
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 192.168.9.66, trying next server (My local LAN Router)
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 68.237.161.12, trying next server (My providers DNS2)
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 192.168.9.66, trying next server (My local LAN Router)
Server: 71.243.0.12 (MY providers DNS1)
Address: 71.243.0.12#53 (My providers DNS1)

** server can't find mydomain.com.mydomain.com: SERVFAIL

I did try a:

dig mydomain.com @myprovidersDNSIP

and no "Answer" section

Just setup this domain last night so I assume it is just a propagation issue and I just may need to wait a couple more days. That is fine but "nslookup" should not be using local LAN IP's right?

Any ideas?

I never had these problems with a single NIC running right on the WAN.

My goal is to have just the WAN resolving DNS etc. I am fine with sftping any files back and forth over the LAN by IP only.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Art
Sponsored Links